Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new 2007 Grand Cherokee CRD Limited. The reason I say new is that it only had 100 miles on it. The story I was given by the dealer was, “The factory mistakenly put gasoline in the tank rather diesel”. Apparently the vehicles were set aside for a while and then they went threw each one replacing any component that came in contact with the contaminated fuel. There was a sheet taped to the window stating that the factory replaced the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel filter and all fuel lines due to “contaminated fuel”. There must have been a bunch of them that went out that way because the place I bought mine from had about 15 of them and there are about 20 more listed on e-bay.
Anyone else hear of this or know if the gas in the tank story is accurate?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hi
Yes the story the dealer told you is true, There is an RRT Rapid response transmittal sent out for this. Not sure it was gasoline just said contaminated fuel.
Regards,
Merlin

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have one as well. Mine had about 700 miles on it. 2007 CRD 4x4 Limited.

Chrysler actually shipped these to the dealers with the incorrect fuel, then had to buy them all back. You probably have an 'in-service' date of around March 2007? That's when the buy-back occurred. All were shipped back to Detroitlet, repaired, and started going out to dealer auction around Sept 2007. From what I was told, there were about 200 vehicles affected.

As Merlin added, I can't find if it was regular gas they put in, or just non ULSD. Doubt we'll ever find out.

I've had zero issues with mine and paid right at $25k out the door with a 7/70 warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had one of the "Lemons". Mfg about May 07, I purchased in Sept 07 and had it towed with 205 miles on odometer. 4 x 4 Limited.
I was told it was a $7000 fix and US was on back order for parts. They say the entire fuel system including injectors had to be replaced. I then bought one just like it and have no issues with this one.
I was told that the factory put contaminated fuel in the lemon at the factory.
If you check my previous posts you will see what happened.
HCG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmmmm.... I too just bought a 2007 Grand Cherokee Limited 3.0 CRD.... no mention from the dealer that there had been any problem with it... may not be part of this group.....awfully coincidental though... is there a VIN list of the affected vehicles or any other way that I can verify that this isn't one of them? I don't want to think that the dealer would have sold me one of these without revealing this information....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm.... I too just bought a 2007 Grand Cherokee Limited 3.0 CRD.... no mention from the dealer that there had been any problem with it... may not be part of this group.....awfully coincidental though... is there a VIN list of the affected vehicles or any other way that I can verify that this isn't one of them? I don't want to think that the dealer would have sold me one of these without revealing this information....
If your jeep is a 2007 diesel and had very low miles I would be very suspicious as well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't want to think that the dealer would have sold
me one of these without revealing this information....
Was it sold as 'new' or 'used'. If it was used, Carfax should show the first owner as Chrysler and you (now) as the second owner. Nothing else shows up on mine concerning the buy-back or the fuel contamination.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It was sold as new... I brought this up with the dealer today and he assures me that it is not one of those contaminated..... carfax shows no reports on the VIN....
Still seems awfully coincidental to me that a dealer would just happen to have an 07 sitting around and these just happen to show up.... sure would like to know if my VIN is on the list....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was sold as new... I brought this up with the dealer today and he assures me that it is not one of those contaminated..... carfax shows no reports on the VIN....
Still seems awfully coincidental to me that a dealer would just happen to have an 07 sitting around and these just happen to show up.... sure would like to know if my VIN is on the list....
The 2007 CRD's at the place I bought mine were all previously titled and there for could not be sold as new. So if yours is titled as new, then I would say it is not one of the buy-back cars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I returned mine, I had to first registar the title and pay state sales tax.
All cost was reimbursed to me. So title had to be used.
Of course if the car was returned to factory and rebuilt before it was sold it will still be a new title. What was milage on odometer?
HCG

·
Registered
12 Posts
2007 GC CRD (New Owner)

Bought one yesterday after a few test drives over the past week. Mileage was 350 when I first saw it. This was a reworked 2007 CRD due to Fuel Contamination and the dealer provided the proper disclosure forms. Price Paid: $23,500 for 4WD Limited with a few extras (uconnect, QuadraDrive II, Class IV trailer)

The dealer told me that there were 1500 of these with the fuel contamination issue, so expect to see more of them for sale. Since some of the dealers (including mine) are selling these via the internet, they are'n't too eager to deal since they can get close to their price in other parts of the country. I was told an Overland sold yesterday from my Detroit dealer to a customer in Oregon. The deals are supposedly so good that they're even shipping these to Canada without warranty.

So speaking of warranty, that was almost a deal breaker. These reworked GC's have an In-Service date going back to 2Q07. This means the 3yr/36K warranty is really more like a 1Yr, 36K.

Since these are early builds with limited remaining warranties, check up on the TSB's and make sure you get everything fixed quickly. I had to return to the dealership only 30 minutes after inking the deal to have both front window regulators replaced as the one touch up had an issue (I hadn't tested windows on the test drives since it was too cold out). I also have an annoying rattle at 1000 RPM which might be fixed by another TSB regarding the deletion of a bracket. There is also a TSB out on the Crank/Cam position sensor (a known Mercedes defect) but it only seems to authorize warranty claims on failure.

Other things to consider is after the warranty expires (14 months) what will Chrysler charge to replace/rebuild various Mercedes components (engine, trans, turbo) when they wear out? If Chrysler goes under and Jeep is sold off, will Jeep still have a good relationship in the parts distribution channel?

The GC 3.0 CRD seems to be destined to be a rare vehicle with only about 1.5 years of low volume production. If Jeep introduces another CRD in 2010, it will probably not have this powerplant which is ashame since overall, the vehicle sems to run pretty good. Nice power and if you keep your foot light, good MPG. 22.5mpg on country rouds (45MPH) with stop lights every mile and some hills. Shifts are smooth and often hard to notice. I'll try my normal drives (freeway/city) in another week or so when I return to my office to see if I can attain more than 24MPG on the freeway. A couple of quick tests yesterday showed up to 28MPG, but the wind may have been at my back.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had to return to the dealership only 30 minutes after inking the deal to have both front window regulators replaced as the one touch up had an issue (I hadn't tested windows on the test drives since it was too cold out).
Had the same done. Also had the transmission re flashed as it would 'clunk' on loaded downshifts. No more.

Other than that, has been flawless for almost 5000 miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know that this is an old thread but I'm in the same boat right now. Our diesel KJ was totaled over the weekend so we're looking at WK diesels as a replacement. I found one with really low miles that was a "fuel contaminated" Chrysler corporate vehicle with about 5500miles. The dealer is asking $25,900 (07, 4x4, limited, non nav).

How much am I looking at for an extended warranty? Are those of you who purchased one of these buybacks having good luck with it?

Thanks,

Tim

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.