Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Brake Squeal

4842 6
Alright, so basically I had my brakes changed in November when I first put this thing on the road, they worked pretty well for a couple days and then the squeal started coming on... I drove it for months living with it and just a few weeks ago i tried to do something about it, so i took everything apart, lubed up the caliper pins cleaned the pads and rotors with brake cleaner and put some disc brake quiet on the backs of the pads... worked fine for about 5 minutes. I tried doing all of this again, and really worked in the caliper pins until they would slide nice and smooth and tried a different brand of disc brake quiet, same deal. I know the pads are just standard semi-metallic and i realize that some squeal should be expected from them, but the sound that they make (if i dont adjust my braking to make it quieter) is ridiculous. Lately they've only been doing it after being warmed up from a couple of stops and once they start doing it they won't stop until they're cold again. What I've been doing is waiting till the last minute and then braking fairly hard because you can only hear the squeal for a second as it passes through its "squealing range" i guess you could call it. Hard braking= no squeal, very light braking= very faint squeal, normal (smooth) braking= unbearable squeal.
I noticed that there is a bit of play with the caliper assembly up and down but I'm not sure if that could be the cause? Please help, I really want these brakes to be smooth and quiet. thanks.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,130 Posts
Mine started doing that but not all the time.... took it out last weekend for a joy ride. Ended the afternoon changing the calipers, pads and rotors. Mine were sticking sometimes not others. At one point i was having a hard time just getting her up a slight incline in 2nd gear. After the replacement it felt like I had a new jeep. What I'm saying is maybe your calipers are sticking on occasion. Hope you find it.

· Registered
424 Posts
Started two weeks after new pads installed? After doing all you've done, I would suspect the pad compound. Switch to a different compound or brand. Make sure your rotors are in good shape. PadsRcheap!

· Registered
52 Posts
Centric Posi-Quiet pads have been good to me. The Wagner Thermo-Quiet were HORRIBLE.. Warpage in the rotors will make them squeak too even if you can't see it. Cut the rotors and install the Centrics and you should be fine.

· Registered
2,210 Posts
If you have the stock composite rotors that could be the problem.
The center of the rotor is stamped steel and they tend to warp and turning them won't help because it's the center portion that warps.
I have new run of the mill (Checker Auto parts) pads,rotors and calipers on mine that have been on since Jan. and they don't make any noise.
If everything is the way it's supposed to be you don't need special pads the standard ones will work just fine.
I would try replacing the rotors since you already have new pads.
Centric Posi-Quiet pads have been good to me. The Wagner Thermo-Quiet were HORRIBLE.. Warpage in the rotors will make them squeak too even if you can't see it. Cut the rotors and install the Centrics and you should be fine.

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have the stock composite rotors that could be the problem.
The center of the rotor is stamped steel and they tend to warp and turning them won't help because it's the center portion that warps.
I have new run of the mill (Checker Auto parts) pads,rotors and calipers on mine that have been on since Jan. and they don't make any noise.
If everything is the way it's supposed to be you don't need special pads the standard ones will work just fine.
I would try replacing the rotors since you already have new pads.
Thanks, ill definitely try this...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.