Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Recently got new calipers installed on my 2000 TJ Sport, all was working fine until last week when I had trouble started the engine. Once I got it going the RPMs went through the roof, 4-5k, and when I tried taking it around the neighborhood the brakes were basically non-existent (had to stand on the peddle to stop).

Get it back in the driveway, pop the hood and it looks like some components are missing. I noticed some type of hose cap on the brake booster appears to be gone, and I’m not even sure what’s going on with the vacuum lines at the intake manifold. One was loose; I’m pointing to it in a picture, and there’s a lonely black hose that seems to be missing a connection.

What do you guys think? As always, any help is greatly appreciated.
Automotive tire White Light Rim Wood

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Wheel

Hand Automotive tire Hood Tire Finger

Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Marines Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Machine Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Marines Bumper
Hand Automotive tire Hood Tire Finger
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Wheel
Automotive tire White Light Rim Wood
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Machine Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
04 TJ Sport / 5.3LS / RS5000X / 3.73
456 Posts
This guy is the brake booster check valve. Your cap and check flap are missing. With this gone, you cant build a vacuum in your booster, causing your brakes to feel useless.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bumper Alloy wheel

It should look like this....
Product Camera accessory Automotive tire Camera lens Cameras & optics

The second dangly hose goes to your EVAP purge solenoid. I believe this only needs to see vacuum from the manifold as the line leads into the VAC port of the solenoid.
Hand Automotive tire Finger Tread Motor vehicle

Reactions: jcagle24

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
The brake booster check valve as boondaba has pictured is probably available at a parts store. The loose pipe you have your finger on I think should have a ninety degree rubber elbow connecting it to the rusty tube to the left of it in your picture. The elbow that is loose, if the rubber isn't decayed would snug tight with a cable tie. It's a vaccuum hose so won't get blown off, and just needs to seal well enough to stop air getting sucked in.

·
Premium Member
10,303 Posts
If the elbow is bad, you can just use a piece of vacuum hose of the correct size, just make it long enough to get a good radius without a kink. And, like stated above, can use cable ties around the ends like a hose clamp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This guy is the brake booster check valve. Your cap and check flap are missing. With this gone, you cant build a vacuum in your booster, causing your brakes to feel useless.
View attachment 4139780

It should look like this....
View attachment 4139781

The second dangly hose goes to your EVAP purge solenoid. I believe this only needs to see vacuum from the manifold as the line leads into the VAC port of the solenoid.
View attachment 4139782
Thanks man, I really appreciate the help. Still baffled by how these things went missing; was driving fine the day before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The brake booster check valve as boondaba has pictured is probably available at a parts store. The loose pipe you have your finger on I think should have a ninety degree rubber elbow connecting it to the rusty tube to the left of it in your picture. The elbow that is loose, if the rubber isn't decayed would snug tight with a cable tie. It's a vaccuum hose so won't get blown off, and just needs to seal well enough to stop air getting sucked in.
Thanks for the help! It's almost like the check valve and elbow blew out somehow after having trouble getting the motor started that day; weird. I'll definitely be securing the loose elbow with a cable tie; great tip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.