Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
321 - 337 of 337 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Great work, Stan! I had an hour to burn, so I just got caught up on your thread. Really impressive work, and creative solutions to these build-hurdles.
Keep pushing forward, you’ll be behind the wheel, basking in your build in no time.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Keep pushing forward, you’ll be behind the wheel, basking in your build in no time.
Thanks! I've been lacking motivation in July, and I'm starting off August pretty good so far.

So, I got a nasty gram from my HOA.
Organism Font Happy Petal Wood

I'm actually not surprised - I'm only surprised that they didn't send one sooner. So I've spend the last couple of days making everything one color again. It's just rattle can paint, but it should hold off the wolves!

The red cowl stripe stays!
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

I even added some "Jeep" letters on both sides of the cowl!
Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

All four sets of flares were installed. I touched up the blue paint where I welded in the patch around the rear wheel weel.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car

I know the blue rattle can looks horrible, but it had to be done!
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Vehicle registration plate Plant Car Land vehicle Grille

I'm also going to install the tire carrier this weekend, and the two front seats to further the "running Jeep" illusion.

New short term plan:

1) Get the grill finished out in red. It's also getting a SS cover, so you won't be able to see the red paint. The SS grill is just my personal preference - some people may not like it. Once I get the grill finished, I will likely never have to remove it again, and won't have to drain the coolant, etc.

2) Get the rest of the interior primed and painted red.

3) Get it running

4) Get the dash and gauges installed. And the rest of the electrical.

5) Address the axles and brakes.

I think it will be drivable at this point.

I'll worry about the exterior paint later.

·
Premium Member
10,254 Posts
That stripe is weirdly attractive. It’s like nothing you would plan to do that particular way but it looks perfect.

Reactions: StanF

·
Premium Member
10,794 Posts
Ok, the stripe can stay, and your HOAcan get bent... but more importantly;

Let's talk about the jeepster in the garage?!?!?!

Hoss

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
Let's talk about the jeepster in the garage?!?!?!
This entire YJ project might have been was a bad decision! I should be working on the Jeepster that seems to be permanently dry-docked in my garage!

Here's the Jeepster as purchased - it was very cheap and came off of a Texas ranch. It's dry here, so the rust was manageable, and not too severe.
It's a 1973 model, which looks a little like a Bronco in front.
It's fairly easy to change out the front clip to look like an early Jeepster, which is what I am doing.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

The original drivetrain was a AMC 304, Turbo 400 and Dana 20. I got the engine running, and sold the entire drivetrain.
An LS1, 4L65e and NP241c are going back in.
The full hard top was pulled off, and will not be going back on!
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Here's the earlier, classic, front clip installed. I sold the original front clip.
The entire Jeepster will be a restomod - very little will be original except for the body.
It'll have a good Vintage Air AC system - it's hot here in the summer.
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Grille Wheel

The axles are a front Dana 44 and rear Ford 9" from an Early Bronco.
Rear 4 link and front 3 link with coilovers and only 32 or 33" tires.
It'll be a road queen, not an offroad beast.
Rear suspension:
Automotive tire Vehicle Aircraft Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

The drivetrain is ready to be installed. The big problem is the short hood on the early Jeepsters - I may have to cut the firewall to fit the LS1. Then, I'll pull the body and completely finish out the rolling chassis. It'll be nice to work on it without the body installed. But first, I need to get the 88 YJ-CJ mostly done!

For a top, I'm thinking about a half cab, where I can use it as a mini pickup truck. But I really like soft tops or just a bikini top. I'm not close to a decision on this.

Example factory half cab:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Example bikini top:
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Example of full soft top:
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
10,794 Posts
Super familiar with the jeepster commando platform, I've have 3 or 4, a '68, and a '72 and '73.

Solid plan of attack, you are off to a great start!

Hoss

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 · (Edited)
More interior work this morning:

Still some spots to finish up, but I'm making progress!

To complete the illusion for the HOA, I even added the front seats and console:

The seats and bases were bought used out of a CJ7 from Denton, TX:

The console is a wide unit out - also out of a CJ7. It's a nice Tuffy security console.
As a side note, this console would not fit in my 95 YJ, as both seat bases are moved inwards about 2" each. The 95 console has to be much narrower to fit between the seats. I believe that they moved them inwards for crash protection in later YJs, 1991-1995.

Rear view mirror also installed to help complete the illusion.
No dash is installed yet, but I don't think the HOA is going to come onto my driveway and carefully inspect the Jeep!

Transmission Shifter
One other fun part that I purchased recently - the automatic transmission shifter. I've been looking for an interesting shifter for many months, and hit many swap meets in that time. I ran across this one on eBay, and I think it will work well.

It's a Hurst AutoStick 3 - fully ratcheting. I think it dates back to the late 1960s. It operates smoothly, and is in good condition. No rust.

I know it's a Jeep, but I like the muscle car look of the Hurst handle.

It's narrow, so it fits nicely next to the transfer case shifter

Sitting too low right now - I'll bring it up a few inches

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Car

As always, it needs some mods before I can use it:
1) It's fairly short, so I'll raise it up 3-4 inches.
2) I need to rig up a reverse switch and neutral safety switch.
3) And I need to add a light to the shifter indicator - it was missing for some reason.

321 - 337 of 337 Posts