Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Youngin'
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up this 1988 Jeep Commanche. It has the 2.5L 4cyl motor with the 4 speed manual behind it. It is 2wd as of right now. The original motor has 162,XXX miles on it and still runs well. There is minimal rust on this thing, with one spot on the front edge of the bed on the passenger side, but hardly noticeable. The floorboards have some rust as well, but again that will be taken care of throughout the build. The best part is that I picked it up for $425.

The plans for the build are as followed (subject to change, these are just ideas i've been tossing around in my head).

• 4wd conversion (of course)
  • Full width axles (D44/9")
  • A buddy of mine has a C6 transmission and a matching TC, so that may go in this as well
  • Which means that a 302 or 351 would possibly go in this thing.
  • We've also been wanting to get a tubing bender, so an exo cage/flat bed may go on as well.

That's what I have so far going through my head.

Now on to the pics.

I want to hear your guys' opinion. Where should I take this build?

-Brendan

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
aww wish i had one (sobs), I'll start looking for one after my YJs paid off

I'd mod it up to make fords and chevys look bad ;)

·
Youngin'
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll see what I can do! After some searching, i really like the look of the 97+ front clip swap, so I may hit the junkyards around here to see if i can get the front grille, headlight bezels and possibly some fenders as well

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow! congrats on that great deal! your ideas sound pretty good to me! you have plenty of room to work with, have you considered doubled t-cases? I don't know what you plan on doing with this jeep, but I think that'd be a nice thing to have.

also, do you know if a c6 will physically fit in a mj/xj? I am not saying that it won't, and have no experience in that realm, but I don't think I have ever heard of an xj with that trans, and I wonder if that's why.

I am excited to watch this build, good luck! :cheers2:

·
Youngin'
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I honestly don't know if a C6 will fit in there. I haven't actually seen the transmission that my buddy has, but I wouldn't be against cutting and re-working the transmission hump/firewall to get it to fit. I'm sure I will have to make a custom crossmember either way so that shouldn't be an issue either.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
swap everything from the XJ over :shhh:. looks like a fun project. i would love to have me an MJ

·
Registered
299 Posts
nice steal i want an mj soo bad :thumbsup:

·
Youngin'
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
swap everything from the XJ over :shhh:. looks like a fun project. i would love to have me an MJ
That would be interesting lol

I think in the next couple of weeks we are going to get the motor and trans pulled out of it, then scrap it and from the money I get out of the scrap metal pick up perches so we can swap the Ford 9" into the rear.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Awesome find! If you flat bed it can I have the old bed? :D

Mines all rusty. lol

I'd go 60/9" 3-linked front, on some 37's. With a 302 and that c6, it would make an awesome crawler or trail truck!

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Only engines I'd even think about are modern Chevy motors. Find a 6.0L truck motor with a 4L60E and dump it in there. LS1 intake and a few other little mods to go with it.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Only engines I'd even think about are modern Chevy motors. Find a 6.0L truck motor with a 4L60E and dump it in there. LS1 intake and a few other little mods to go with it.
**** no, I'm very againt chevy motors. Worked on one yesterday and it was reallt cramped and difficult. Compared to jeep motors, I'd say they're a downgrade. 4.0' probs the best one in general

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
well in the truck yeah. but in terms of aftermarket support, availability, power, and populatiry of the swap, there are lots of reasons to do the swap. it wont be long before there is a kit that will make these chevy engines bolt on.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
build manche's are awesome get on it :) lots of pics too plz

·
Youngin'
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will do. I will get some pictures this afternoon of the tear down.

I have changed plans for what I am wanting to do with this MJ. I am going to be on the lookout for a cheap 97+ XJ and swap over the front clip, fenders, hood, etc. Swap over the 4.0L as well as the entire interior. Then I am planning on taking the axles (D30/8.8") out of my XJ and putting them in the MJ and putting full-widths under the XJ (D44/9").

The motor will be coming out this-coming weekend, then I will start cleaning up the underside of the MJ and the engine bay.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i like that direction better:thumbsup: no sense in hacking up an mj when you have a built xj. go over on comancheclub.com there are a few guys who have the front clip swap as well as the full interior swap. looks awesome.

·
Youngin'
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just registered over there. I could spend all day going through all of those write-ups. I think the interior swap is going to be the most difficult for me, since I am not necessarily a wiring guru. But the more I read up on it the better the chance I have at doing it successfully

·
Registered
521 Posts
i hear ya. there is alot of tech over there. and a lot of crazy mj nuts:D

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Can you PLEASE!!!!!! stop posting pictures with that B-E-A-Utiful cummins in it, it makes me jealous everytime I see it. :(

Though gonna be a sweet rig when your done! I wouldn't flat bed it though, never know when you may need to haul stuff out of the trail...though if you bobbed it, it would look sick and have a good approach angle. Then you can do a dovetail... :drool:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts