Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

BIG BLUE's "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD

126686 Views 1061 Replies 62 Participants Last post by  BigBlue7
"This is my JK. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My JK is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life.
My JK, without me, is useless. Without my JK, I am useless."​
:salute:

I just celebrated my first year as a Jeep owner! At the time that I bought it, I have to admit, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Yeah yeah, we all have heard the J.E.E.P. saying; however, I am proud to say, I have found another hobby. I always wanted a Wrangler, and was intrigued by the 4 door. Being a recent graduate of the University of Kentucky, I fell in love with the color of the Deep Pearl Blue, "Kentucky Blue," JKU! At first sight I knew it was my soul-mate. Let's just say, quickly I learned beauty is much more than skin deep.

I would have started this build thread many months ago, but like I said, I had no idea how addicted I would become. So addicted, that I even keep a "Timeline" Word doc. on my desktop at work to track Big Blue's progress.

Previous owner had to be a chick, which was made obvious by all the eyeliner and hair ties buried under the driver side carpet, and the Kreayshawn CD left in the disc changer. :fear:

Here is how Big Blue sat when I bought him from CarMax, bone stock with 28,000 miles:
1041 - 1060 of 1062 Posts

· Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,048 ·
Welp, while it was nice being back in the USA with Blue, I've done it again and left her in storage. I'm off to live my life working for the U.S. Navy in the Land of Smiles. See you again some day, my friends.

I promise, when I get back I will upgrade some meaty parts....parts that cannot be said without blushing. Love from Bangkok, Thailand!

Also found this old jeep today

Attachments

· Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,049 ·
There's a lot of info on the forums. I got it for transmission temp, but it has parameters for just about everything you can think of. Plus it does everything the flashpaq can! Wish I got it a long time ago.
Well, after years of use, this gauge failed. Sending to aeroforce for repair. The product is exceptional, however repair will cost $80 not including shipping and handling.

Not all warranties are created equally! Not all can be as awesome as S-Pod, years ago they sent me an entire motherboard for free because the old one was humming.

Now I will be jumping on the Mercedes GLC43 AMG forum for a while! :D

· Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,050 ·
I forgot to post some dope photos of the White Sands trip. After we returned from our tour in Bangkok, I charged the yellowtop, washed it, and drove across country to Houston/Galveston, where we live now.

And not forum related, but my 15 year trail buddy passed away on 11/27/2022. This was our last (cross county) road trip together. Rip, my love, my son, my friend.
Sky Cloud Dog Carnivore Dog breed

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Car

Cloud Sky Road surface Asphalt Slope

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Automotive parking light

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Hood

Car Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle

· Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,051 ·
Got a new yellow top this winter. Lasted since 2016, even after sitting for 3 years dead while we were OCONUS. Oh, and the Goodyear Kevlars are still awesome, but soon will need replaced and I'm so sad to see they were discontinued.

Hope all are well in 2023!

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle

· Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,055 ·
Will be installing this onboard battery tender, hopefully tomorrow. It says it is IP68 and it has AGM mode.
Circuit component Gadget Hardware programmer Computer hardware Font

· Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,056 ·
Converted to PHEV 😄 🤣 seriously though, anyone have recommendation for where to mount the NOCO charger? For now ill just plop it right next to the battery
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Electrical supply

Car Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Electrical wiring Auto part Electronic engineering Cable

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Car Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,057 ·
Next up is a new set of tires. I'm so disappointed that the Goodyear Kevlars were discontinued. They gave me 40k miles and are still even and have plenty of tread, but they were manufactured in 2012.

I'll probably go with BFG's KM3. $320 ea

6,043 Posts
I use a Battery Tender on mine. It's mounted on the garage wall and I have a 20' cable which plugs into the pigtail I have in the grill.

As I also have a Battery Tender mounted in the Class C for it which will also allow me to plug in the Jeep if it needed it when out wheeling.

Reactions: BigBlue7
1041 - 1060 of 1062 Posts