Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what kind of welder would be best for general body/rust repair.

Floor pan is all rusted out, as well as some other less important body parts.

Curious what my cheapest welding option would be for fixing these.

I have never welded before either, but would like to do this myself to save the $$$$ that a body shop would charge.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Don't buy a cheap welder. You will regret that you didn't spend a few more $ for a Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Don't buy a cheap welder. You will regret that you didn't spend a few more $ for a Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart.
X2

I had very little experience welding before purchasing my Lincoln mig. After gaining some experience, and if you're lucky someone will help you out a bit, you'll surprise yourself how quickly you learn. Besides, it's great fun. You'll likely require a grinder, cutting torch and a few other "welding" accessories.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeh, I used cheap poorly haha.

I will get a good brand, I meant just a cheaper version, I know that flux is cheap, mig is less cheap, and what tig? is way pricy?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good info, but I think I am blind after trying to read just the first paragraph on that site haha.

Had to put it into a word doc, the colors where brutal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tig is for very clean, persision welding. It can be used on anythig you throw at it. Aluminum, stainless, carbon, steel, and many other alloys. In your case a mig would be your best option but get one that you can use on other things like bumpers, frames, and any other thicker steel projects. I have a Miller 175 mig machine and love it. Sometimes it gets to small and I have to get out my buzz box but if you bevel and do multiple passes it will do the job. A 175 (I think they are 180 or 185 now) can run 0.23 wire on up to 0.45 flux cored wire. That means you can weld anything from tin to 3/8 steel in one pass. I do not like the flux cored wire because it spudders and throws slag all over the place. It also has more fumes. Regular mig with gas is much smoother and cleaner. My next one will be a 250 miller. My 175 has built 3 tandem axle trailers from 15' to 28' and multiple other projects including my CJ and it has never let me down. I would get a Miller or a Lincoln they are the best IMO. Hope this helps......

sorry I type slow.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I use a Lincoln SP125 with the gas kit and .023 wire. Along with the quality of the welder, the most important thing for sheetmetal is the wire size. When you buy the setup, get what you need to run .023. Also, ask about gases. I was told an Argon mix is better for thin stuff than a mix like C25. But with C25 you can weld both thick and thin. See what your supplier recommends.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd recommended an auto-darkening welding helmet if you're going to be welding a lot. It sure makes things easier if your in a tight spot.

When I started welding I didn't have one and never used one until a few years after. But once I used one I bought one right after lol

·
Retired Staff
72,450 Posts
yeh was looking at the 180 range from both miller and lincoln. Seems they'd be adequate on our budget.
A 180 is an excellent all-around size welder, my Miller MIG welder is a 180. But for body work, you could easily get by with a 110v 130-140 amp model. A 110v MIG welder will do anything up to 1/8" and smaller pieces of 3/16". 1/4" on a 110v MIG welder is only done with much greater difficulty and more experience than I have. I wouldn't consider any 110v welder as suitable for 1/4" regardless of what the box or advertising says. I sold my Hobart 135 amp MIG welder to get my Miller 180 because it was running out of steam doing a big piece of 3/16" plate (engine skidplate) I was welding on. However, if $$$ is not a problem, you can't go wrong with Miller's 180 Autoset MIG welder which does the thinner stuff just fine too. It's also a better/more respected brand than Lincoln is, not that Lincoln is not also a very good brand. Miller's new "Autoset" feature makes it a lot easier to learn to MIG weld too since it automatically sets the wire feed speed for you, something that isn't easy for a new welder to master. :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Miller's new "Autoset" feature makes it a lot easier to learn to MIG weld too since it automatically sets the wire feed speed for you, something that isn't easy for a new welder to master. :)
Exactly.
My wife surprised me with a Miller 211 for my birthday. I has the "autoset" feature. I can't believe how easy it is to weld with this machine. It takes all the guesswork out of the equation. Simply set the know to the wire thickness, and then set the other knob to the thickness of the material you are welding. Done.

Of course, I too am new to welding and so my welds look far from stellar. But, with some practice I'm sure I'll be able to weld rather well.

Like stated, buy quality and buy once. Then start practicing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Comes down to preference, or price.

Personally, I only MIG if I have to. I like stick welding a lot, and TIG is my favorite, but I don't personally own a TIG... I used to weld with 'em at a SWEET job I had... stupid economy. :nono:

Anyway, Stick works great, not going to get small beads and it isn't the greatest on tiny gauges of steel. MIG is a little more versatile, I guess.

Get a little Hobart or Lincoln MIG. They're like glue guns... for metal. :2thumbsup:

Paul

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Get a little Hobart or Lincoln MIG. They're like glue guns... for metal. :2thumbsup:

Paul
Epic haha, yeh looking into the smaller ranged of hobart and lincoln.

Will be a little while till I can afford one, lots of other things being done in the meantime.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Miller 180 with autoset- works fantastic for any automotive fab work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts