Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2.5l 4 cyl died in my 81 cj5, not looking to spend the money for a different tranny/axels/everything else it would take to upgrade

Anyone know of a decent place to get a 2.5l 4cyl crate engine replacement? I want a good new engine just not looking to spend an arm and a leg on it. Trying to find something that'll bolt right in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2.5l 4 cyl died in my 81 cj5, not looking to spend the money for a different tranny/axels/everything else it would take to upgrade

Anyone know of a decent place to get a 2.5l 4cyl crate engine replacement? I want a good new engine just not looking to spend an arm and a leg on it. Trying to find something that'll bolt right in.
The Duke gave up the ghost...

This a manual transmission I assume that is stock...

Trust me when I tell you this...you'll be money and happiness ahead in the long run doing a swap.
Big time. The fact you've still a good tranny is pretty miraculous if it's a manual.

The sr4 might be the worst transmission in the history of any transmission. It's pretty much borderline acceptable for a tiny car. The T5 is not much better.before the mustang crowd flips out most have to rebuild them right away or very soon.

Definitely not jeeps finest hour but there was a trend going through the entire industry in 1981 of using lighter, tinier garbage to eek out mileage.

Fird used an SROD in their 81-84 trucks. Again more garbage. Not all the trucks but a bunch of the manual trucks got this piece of trash of an excuse for a tranny. They still offered the T18 at least something that jeep NEVER should have stopped using.

Your tranny will be next to go. Mark my words. It's only a matter of time and that is with street driving.

You don't have to upgrade axles doing a swap. That's such ridiculous non sense. The dana 30 is fine to about 35" tires and that is off road. The amc 20 could use some one piece shafts regardless but even thst still can survive wjth some intelligence Eveb with the two piece axles.

So what is the huge swap problem? You have a carb motor..swapping in a cheap carbed v8 is easy and the tranny needs upgraded for sure...but you need to do that anyways. So for what you'd have in a reman Duke engine you'd be real close for a nice used small block v8. Maybe even less getting the v8.
Motor mounts, transmission, adapter to the dana 300 (check eBay for the shaft swap)

It will be worth it so much happier you'll be at only a little more cost.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.