Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have water in my oil and in my exhaust. Scraping noise before it happend so I think more than head gasket. Need to take a look but would imagine a new engine is needed. Maybe I have a rod through the block. Its a 95 Sahara 4.0. What are your ideas on where to get the best stock rebuilt engine? Quadratech looks kind of high. Need good cost and good engine. Live in upstate NY.

·
Registered
320 Posts
There are quite a few shops in my area that install Jasper engines.
X2 on Jasper, although I only bought a 2.5 from them about 15 yrs ago. The first one ran great for about 20,000 miles. Then I drove into a small pond and threw a rod. I learned. The second lasted great, but I sold it. But they were easy to work with.

I rebuilt my own 4.0. So far so good.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Hopefully the OP got it sorted back in 2011 :)
Damn, I hate it when I do that 🙃

I was doing some research and didn't look at the date. I've got a need too - my daughter's 99 TJ 4.0L is worn out. I bought a used 4.0L for her, but you never really know if a used engine is any good. It's going into her TJ in a month or two.

I've got a used 4.0L engine in my 95 YJ, and I've been pretty lucky with it so far. I don't mind investing in a good rebuilt engine, if I'm planning to keep the Jeep. But it seems like a lot of the rebuilt engines aren't done very well.

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
That's what I'm worried about when swapping a motor. My time is limited and I don't want to have to swap it twice. I've had my YJ for over 20 years and I don't see myself getting rid of it, so I want something decent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts