Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Best Fuel Tank Skid

1501 Views 10 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  mike_dippert
Hey fellow Jeepers,

So after a fantastic trip to Moab, doing only the most difficult trails, I quickly realized that the stock fuel tank skid is not going to cut it. It seems to be a step up from tin foil on the pre-2003's.

I am trying not to add a bunch of weight to the vehicle to maintain some gas mileage, but I'd like to get a skid plate that can take a beating.

I've narrowed it down to the Metalcloak part aluminum, part steel skid and the slightly more expensive Savvy Offroad all aluminum skid.

I've heard great things about the Savvy skid, but being completely aluminum, I'm very curious as to wether or not anyone has had any experience bashing it and what it did to the plate.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· R.I.P. Knuckelhead
23,203 Posts
I don't think that you'll find a gas tank skid plate that mounts in the same place as the OEM skid, has more clearance and weighs less than the Savvy one being offered.

As far as its durability, I doubt you'll find complaints about it...

· Premium Member
26,505 Posts
Savvy skid has been on the market maybe 5 years? Think about how many skids that means they have sold. As far as I know there has only been 1 or 2 warranteed in that time and at least one that was warranteed really didn't need to be.

· This post/info=my opinion
24,643 Posts
Hey fellow Jeepers,

So after a fantastic trip to Moab, doing only the most difficult trails, I quickly realized that the stock fuel tank skid is not going to cut it. It seems to be a step up from tin foil on the pre-2003's.

I am trying not to add a bunch of weight to the vehicle to maintain some gas mileage, but I'd like to get a skid plate that can take a beating.

I've narrowed it down to the Metalcloak part aluminum, part steel skid and the slightly more expensive Savvy Offroad all aluminum skid.

I've heard great things about the Savvy skid, but being completely aluminum, I'm very curious as to wether or not anyone has had any experience bashing it and what it did to the plate.
FWIW, the Savvy is partially steel....the mounting brackets are steel. the skid itself is aluminum.

I run the Savvy skid....and it's awesome. would definitely recommend it. can't speak to Metalcloak though, haven't seen one.

· R.I.P. Knuckelhead
23,203 Posts
Have run a Kilby tank skid for years. They were the hot ticket in 2003.
The Savvy gas thank skid came out in the late 2000's (IIRC) and has 3/4" more clearance then the Kilby and weighs 30lbs less, I know because that's what I replaced my Kilby with.

Some may say that 3/4" isn't enough to worry about. I think it does, that's why I installed a rear axle with 3/4" more clearance than a d35...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.