Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Best engine oil to use in a 4.0?

89788 23
Getting ready to change my oil, and heard these straight 6's don't like synthetic oil, causes them to leak. Don't want to mess anything up, so I thought I would ask, for a Texas Jeep, what is a good oil to put into a TJ with 112K on it?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,702 Posts
Getting ready to change my oil, and heard these straight 6's don't like synthetic oil, causes them to leak. Don't want to mess anything up, so I thought I would ask, for a Texas Jeep, what is a good oil to put into a TJ with 112K on it?
That is like asking what is the best kind of air to breath. Any oil is good. That being said, I have three JEEPS with the straight six and use nothing but synthetic for the past 30 years. No leaks no problems. This is a can of worms where everyone will say something different.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My oil of choice is Shell Rotella T/Chevron Delo/Mobil Delvac 15w-40.

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
42,386 Posts
Synthetic oil doesn't cause anything to leak.It finds spaces that regular oil can't get out of and does.:( Valvoline and Castrol GTX are good.

·
Registered
739 Posts
10w30 Quaker State High Mileage here. I know guys that have had this motor for years, and only bought what was on sale, never had a problem. Know guys that use Mobil 1 and have all kids of problems. Then again, I also know the complete opposite of what I just posted. So, to each their own. Each Jeep is completely different.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 in every vehicle I've ever owned with great results. I would also suggest amsoil and royal purple as well, but those are expensive and not really worth it for engine oil IMO. I change my oil every 5-6k miles

·
Registered
465 Posts
Valvoline 10w30 is what I look for...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does it do any harm switching back to regular [new] oil, from, say unknown or possibly synthetic oil? I really have no idea what is in it right now, and want to switch to a known good oil of proper weight for Texas.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
What about using a semi-synthetic oil? Would that be more likely to find places to leak from than a standard oil would?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Royal Purple 10w30 synthetic in my engine.

AMSOIL full synthetic in my diffs, transfer case and transmission.

No leaks, and i got 5k miles between intervals. oil is always full after the 5k. just a bit dirty.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Does it do any harm switching back to regular [new] oil, from, say unknown or possibly synthetic oil? I really have no idea what is in it right now, and want to switch to a known good oil of proper weight for Texas.
No problems. Just make sure to drain as much as possible. Maybe walk away for an hour or so and let it drip in the catch pan. But it really won't make that much of a difference. Just buy a quality oil in the correct weight (10W30) and change it every 3k...:cheers2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.