Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of doing a carpet interior on my YJ, I was going to put the roll on/ or spray on bed liner. Is there a specific type I should use? Which is the best and less expensive one? Also, is the bed liner easy to clean and how would I do that? Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just completed mine tonight.. I went with herculiner. All i can say is prep, prep, prep.. This is a very important step. The po used a roll on bed liner and it looked like crap. wire wheeling it down was a bi**h. I have some pics from the first application. I still have the second coat to put down later on tonight.

I'll have some more later on

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I used rollon from walmart, I completely took out everything on the inside, and used a grinder with one of those crazy softpads to nearly strip everything down to metal, almost... I bondo'd what little rust there was and blew the tub out with a leaf blower... Then I took the pressure washer to the inside just to polish things off... Dried with some towels, and rolled her on..

I havn't had any issues what so ever with chipping or anything... They make "spray can" bedliner, that you can use for the tough spots and it looks exactly like the roll on... it was only 40.00 bucks for a gallon of the stuff, and the cans were like 5-7 bucks each... I know its walmart, but I throw my shovel and sledge in the back every morning, along with half my tools incase my heep b breaks down, and havn't had a chip... The one chip I did get, I touched up with the spraycan and it's not noticable...

I put on about 3 coats, only took 1 gallon and 3 cans. :)

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
505 Posts
ive heard alot of good things about u-pol raptor. its a spray on kind so you woukd have to get the gun for it , but i think on ebay it comes with it. you can get it in different colors too. when i do my jeep im gonna go with herculiner cuz its a little cheaper. raptor is about 100 and herc is around 60

·
Registered
285 Posts
Raptor is actually not too bad. A lot of people use herculiner. However, I used Dura-back coating and that stuff is awesome. I rolled it on after prepping the inside and it turned out great! I will be doing the inside again this next month so I will post some pics. :)

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
i used herc and it looks great only one prob spot and i didnt get that spot as clean as i would like

·
Registered
361 Posts
I got mine Line-Xed. I love it but, there are a thousand arguments on this forum for one brand or another. It all comes down to what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend.

·
Registered
18,364 Posts
When you ask what's the best, you can't really get a good answer without a price tag affixed. In NO WAY is herculiner the "best", it's a decent quality product and comes at a relatively cheap price. If you're not so concerned with price and more worried about the best, go get Rhino or Line-X sprayed on. If you're more like the rest of us broke *** Jeepers, I'd say look at the U-Pol Raptor, it's more expensive than the Herculiner but does seem to give better results. (You can get a spray kit, with gun and all for about $100) I herc'd mine and spent 3 days prepping it and it came out great, I ended up putting two coats everywhere but directly under the front feet and there I put 5 heavy coats. My heel wore through the front with no floor mats, I'm sure with a decent cheapy set of mats that wouldn't have happened. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hands down its monstaliner for fit and finish...can't beat it as a roll on liner...

Well I was looking for a liner to put down in our project K5 blazer at the shop and was debating between herculiner, U-POL and rhinoliner or lineX. There is no budget with this build but I have used the roll on herculiner in the past and was really impressed with it for the money. Then came along Monstaliner and after some discussion/research I was sold and figured we would give it a try. The big selling point for me was the finish. I really hated how hard it was to clean the herculiner being how gritty it is. The monstaliner had a much smoother finish more like some of the spray on liners. The kit comes with everything you need and has some very detailed instructions that I highly suggest you reading if its your first time using the product. It will save you a lot of headaches and time while installing the Monstaliner.

MONSTALINER AND ULTIMATE COLLISION CENTER :)

ADDING THE CATALYST

MIXING

THE MIXER SUPPLIED WITH THE KIT

SCUFF THE AREA TO CREATE A NICE SURFACE FOR THE MONSTALINER TO BIND TO BUT DO NOT GO ALL THE WAY DOWN TO BARE METAL

CLEAN THE AREA

PRIMER ANY RAW METAL

POUR SOME MONSTALINER INTO THE SUPPLIED TRAY

USE A BRUSH TO GET ANY AREAS THAT WOULD BE DIFFICULT WITH THE SUPPLIED ROLLERS

USING THE SUPPLIED ROLLERS TO LAY DOWN A NICE THICK FIRST LAYER

MAKE SURE YOU REMEMBER TO PUT GLOVES ON OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE WEARING MONSTALINER FOR A FEW DAYS

BEFORE

AFTER FIRST COAT BUT STILL WET

AFTER A FEW DAYS OF CURING

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just completed mine tonight.. I went with herculiner. All i can say is prep, prep, prep.. This is a very important step. The po used a roll on bed liner and it looked like crap. wire wheeling it down was a bi**h. I have some pics from the first application. I still have the second coat to put down later on tonight.

I'll have some more later on
will it work on fiberglass?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I seriously doubt you'll get an answer from that poster... it is now a 12 year old post.

My vote is monstaliner. Better texture. Easy to clean. UV stable.

Will bond to fiberglass
2nd this. Affordable, great range of colors, and goes on real nice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts