Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Belly Up - Tummy Tuck

2K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  elephantrider 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to give the ol' TJ a tummy tuck for its 10th Birthday... I would like to get everything as high as possible. Right now I have a 4" lift on 35s and will add a 1" body for more clearance when I lift everything. I have a slip yoke eliminator going on next week, and a new drive shaft being built...

1. When I lift the motor/trans will it change the length of my drive shaft?
2. What belly up skid plate would you recommend?
3. Please list the components I will need for this upgrade.

Note: after this, I'm going to look into getting some long arms (in case that effects the belly skid)

#2 ·
I'm getting ready to give the ol' TJ a tummy tuck for its 10th Birthday... I would like to get everything as high as possible. Right now I have a 4" lift on 35s and will add a 1" body for more clearance when I lift everything. I have a slip yoke eliminator going on next week, and a new drive shaft being built...

1. When I lift the motor/trans will it change the length of my drive shaft?
2. What belly up skid plate would you recommend?
3. Please list the components I will need for this upgrade.

Note: after this, I'm going to look into getting some long arms (in case that effects the belly skid)
1. yes, slightly, but you may still be within the range of movement on the new driveshaft (I waitd until after doing the SYE and tummy tuck to have the driveshaft cut down)
2. Rokmen is what i went with
3. engine and transfer case skid plates, motor mount lift, a body lift, something to clean the surface of the steel (acetone, mineral spirits, etc), paint or underbody coating of your choice, your stock skid plate bolts or new ones if you so choose, you may need to adjust the exhaust (i didn't have to)

and long arms will require a different skid plate than the normal control arms

#5 ·
It's been a tough, many month long wait! :D My stock shovel has been getting beaten on the rocks, but I refuse to buy a lesser skid when Savvy's is coming out!

#8 ·
I have the undecover fab 2" alumunum skid. No regrets here. So much extra clearance I dont hit it anymore. They make a 1" skid also. You can get it aluminum or steel.

I'm sure that savvy will have a pretty stout skid aswell but nobody knows when it will come out.

#11 ·
I'd look into the 1" Ultra High Clearance Undercoverfab skid (aluminum or steel, your choice) along with their LoPro tranny mount combination. That will only raise your TC output shaft 1.5" and can be compensated for with SYE and adjustable upper control arms on the back. Don't forget your motor mount lift and your rear upper adjustable control arms to set your pinion angle for your SYE. Here's the latest info from Matt on the skid fitment combinations...

#12 ·
I just got the UCF 1". The thing is built way better than I expected (although my expectations have been called into question before). I'm letting the paint dry right now. This weekend I'll put my SYE in. Then I have to wait on the MML before I put it on. Sweetness.

#13 ·
Yep, wait on the Savvy. I've put my build on hold for over 6+ months waiting for this thing to come to market. I made another purchase and decided to just wait and got rid of it.

I've got the Currie suspension setup in the front and I'll install the rear uppers/lowers when I do the TT. I needed a BL and MM so the "kit" idea is perfect.

I noticed today the powder coating on my Rock Hard sliders is starting to peel. Looks like I'll be ordering some new Savvy sliders too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.