Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a WJ and its great in the snow, mud, gravel, what have you. I've never put myself in a position where I might get stuck but I want to start taking more difficult trails where I might need recovery. What is a good kit to start out with that won't break the bank? Btw I plan on wheeling with a friend in his XJ. I've been watching some videos and my list right now is snatch strap, 2x soft shackles, hitch shackle, and air compressor. Is there anything I'm missing or should change?

So far I ordered a Smittybilt 2780 compressor and a Curt 45832 hitch shackle. The tow weight of the stock hitch is 6,000 lb so is that enough to use a snatch strap or will I rip my hitch off? I'm having trouble figuring out what size snatch strap and soft shackles to buy. Any advice is appreciated :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After a bit more research I am looking at a 7/8" 30' kinetic rope and 3/8 - 7/16" soft shackles. How important is it to get name brand? These are just ropes so is high rated Amazon reviews good enough or should I really pay double from Factor 55 or Yankum?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before even thinking about getting stuck and no matter where you are located..
get a really good first aid kit with wire splints, wound dressings, bandages, stitching kit, etc. Learn first aid, you'll thank me someday. A Vietnam vet drilled this into my thick skull years ago. You rarely need a first aid kit, but when you do, you want a luxury model. Puts Murphy's Law on your side.
I can't believe I forgot about a first aid kit! I have a cheap one but I'll definitely get a new dedicated camping/off-roading one. I know the first aid basics but I'm no combat medic.

I don't really want to mount a winch because I don't think I'll use it. I do need to mount recovery points in the front. I have a brush guard but its not meant for pulling.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it was me and I was going to beat on my WJ, I'd chuck the brush guard for something more useful. The hitch should be fine for the rear.
I'm not trying to beat the piss out of my jeep haha I'm mostly thinking I could get stuck in mud, not tipping it over boulders. I'm in south Jersey and the pine barrens have mostly flat, but rocky trails, nothing like rock crawling. I am wondering if I should get skid plates or sliders now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.