Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
There are a couple of basic things you can do/have.....
HAVE:
A basic tool kit that is appropriate for your rig
Tow strap/come along/winch
folding shovel
fire extinguisher
Jack
Tire plug kit. Pump/compressor. Any cheap compressor will work.
Ratchet strap(s)
1st aid kit. A real one. I use a combat medic's bag I nicked off my first deployment. If you don't have it, build it.
A marker of some kind. Panel, smoke, flare gun, etc.(ask my son about this oneo_O).
Water

DO:
Know your Jeep. Mechanically. Just basic issues and how to fix them.
Strap everything down. Inertia becomes a ***** during a rollover.
Organize your gear.
Learn 1st aid. REAL 1st aid. Bleeding control and splinting.

Add or subtract from the list as you go along.

Start slow and don't go alone.
Go often and gain experience.
Have fun.

Reactions: Off Grid Access

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
I can't believe I forgot about a first aid kit! I have a cheap one but I'll definitely get a new dedicated camping/off-roading one. I know the first aid basics but I'm no combat medic.
You don't need to be a CL (combat lifesaver) to have basic knowledge of first aid. Much of what you need to know can be found on the internet (although a class is obviously better).
My point is to focus more on trauma. Most larger wheeling first aid issues revolve around dislocations, broken bones and bleeding. Since help is usually at least thirty minutes away, knowing how to control bleeding and deal with broken bones can save a life.
Your kit should include a couple slings, moldable splints. large gauze, Israeli bandages, and a modern tourniquet.
More important, knowledge on how, where, and when to use them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.