Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a WJ and its great in the snow, mud, gravel, what have you. I've never put myself in a position where I might get stuck but I want to start taking more difficult trails where I might need recovery. What is a good kit to start out with that won't break the bank? Btw I plan on wheeling with a friend in his XJ. I've been watching some videos and my list right now is snatch strap, 2x soft shackles, hitch shackle, and air compressor. Is there anything I'm missing or should change?

So far I ordered a Smittybilt 2780 compressor and a Curt 45832 hitch shackle. The tow weight of the stock hitch is 6,000 lb so is that enough to use a snatch strap or will I rip my hitch off? I'm having trouble figuring out what size snatch strap and soft shackles to buy. Any advice is appreciated :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After a bit more research I am looking at a 7/8" 30' kinetic rope and 3/8 - 7/16" soft shackles. How important is it to get name brand? These are just ropes so is high rated Amazon reviews good enough or should I really pay double from Factor 55 or Yankum?

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
don't ugly up your WJ - do a nice clean install.

New to off roading and winch maybe look into local jeep club.

Attachments

·
Think Outside the Catalog
10,547 Posts
There is no magic unstuck kit. Join a local club. You'll learn where to go, how to do it, what you need for the local terrain, and get help learning.

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
Before even thinking about getting stuck and no matter where you are located..
get a really good first aid kit with wire splints, wound dressings, bandages, stitching kit, etc. Learn first aid, you'll thank me someday. A Vietnam vet drilled this into my thick skull years ago. You rarely need a first aid kit, but when you do, you want a luxury model. Puts Murphy's Law on your side.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
get a really good first aid kit with wire splints, wound dressings, bandages, stitching kit, etc. Learn first aid, you'll thank me someday. A Vietnam vet drilled this into my thick skull years ago. You rarely need a first aid kit, but when you do, you want a luxury model. Puts Murphy's Law on your side.
Murphy showed up one day about tens years ago and FUBAR follows Mr Murphy where ever he goes. The trail is like 31 miles of very remote high sierras. Takes a full 3 days to get through this. and from any end is still another 35 miles to a nearest town. about 10 miles in the trail the air bag goes off at 1mph and me at full lock to the right. Just easing out of courner. BOOM. my tail gunner was a Vet from Vietnam. when he heard it thought the jeep exploded. I was in daze as i was leaning over the wheel making that slow turn right. Fist thought when i t came to was i felt i was on fire. I nust have said load enough for Morgan to hear and he came running. I could not get out of the jeep. both thumbs dislocated one broken arm. any way he lifted me out i set my thumbs and we made a splint. Was a long painful drive out..I do not have air bags is a jeep after that. Harnesses and buckets. First aid kit is key when you need it....

Fact is to get the best off road feel and have people to do it with is a Club. They do know the area you are in< assuming you have clubs near you. We have one in every town here in AZ near me and around the state. But clubs vary alot too. So check them out. Most clubs Ours will lee a guest ride along( none member). Most to joint will want you at two meetings and maybe two clubs runs. Most clubs have like two types of wheelers. One does say easy to moderate they dont do much hard and harder. Then smaller amount tends to run the harder. Why is cost really, it gets expensive to run hard trails. You break stuff, get stuck in huge boulders that tend to leave marks or flop. Like our club on hard trails Leaders can have say on who can go as at times we have had people want to and we let them and they got rather upset on the damage they did to get through it. Now the jeep should have done better it was DRIVER. Driver is most of it really. Better to learn recovery winch use in club too. Hard to get pulled out alone no matter how much that rope cost. Winching you wont always have a tree right where you need it or say big rock to rope. alone these things can lead to Murphy and his friend,,,,....

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
There are a couple of basic things you can do/have.....
HAVE:
A basic tool kit that is appropriate for your rig
Tow strap/come along/winch
folding shovel
fire extinguisher
Jack
Tire plug kit. Pump/compressor. Any cheap compressor will work.
Ratchet strap(s)
1st aid kit. A real one. I use a combat medic's bag I nicked off my first deployment. If you don't have it, build it.
A marker of some kind. Panel, smoke, flare gun, etc.(ask my son about this oneo_O).
Water

DO:
Know your Jeep. Mechanically. Just basic issues and how to fix them.
Strap everything down. Inertia becomes a ***** during a rollover.
Organize your gear.
Learn 1st aid. REAL 1st aid. Bleeding control and splinting.

Add or subtract from the list as you go along.

Start slow and don't go alone.
Go often and gain experience.
Have fun.

Reactions: Off Grid Access

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't believe I forgot about a first aid kit! I have a cheap one but I'll definitely get a new dedicated camping/off-roading one. I know the first aid basics but I'm no combat medic.

I don't really want to mount a winch because I don't think I'll use it. I do need to mount recovery points in the front. I have a brush guard but its not meant for pulling.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it was me and I was going to beat on my WJ, I'd chuck the brush guard for something more useful. The hitch should be fine for the rear.
I'm not trying to beat the piss out of my jeep haha I'm mostly thinking I could get stuck in mud, not tipping it over boulders. I'm in south Jersey and the pine barrens have mostly flat, but rocky trails, nothing like rock crawling. I am wondering if I should get skid plates or sliders now.

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
Every pound of protection/bling you add makes your WJ heavier and sag more, which in turn makes it more difficult to roll over obstacles without hammering something. And more difficult to recover. Not that I heed this myself but it's true lol

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
I can't believe I forgot about a first aid kit! I have a cheap one but I'll definitely get a new dedicated camping/off-roading one. I know the first aid basics but I'm no combat medic.
You don't need to be a CL (combat lifesaver) to have basic knowledge of first aid. Much of what you need to know can be found on the internet (although a class is obviously better).
My point is to focus more on trauma. Most larger wheeling first aid issues revolve around dislocations, broken bones and bleeding. Since help is usually at least thirty minutes away, knowing how to control bleeding and deal with broken bones can save a life.
Your kit should include a couple slings, moldable splints. large gauze, Israeli bandages, and a modern tourniquet.
More important, knowledge on how, where, and when to use them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.