Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered in detail, but I wanted to hear the pros and cons of balancing tires with bbs or airsoft bbs or something similar

thanks

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
BB's tend to tear the inside of a tire apart, because the copper or steel is harder than the rubber, and they don't just roll, they bounce around. I'd use Equal balancing powder. No, not Equal sugar substitute.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I'm using dynabeads which are the same concept. I used them since my 35" trxxus took so much weight to balance. They balanced out my tires very well with just 8 ounces in each tire. The other benefit is they rebalance every time you drive. No weights to knock off when wheeling and also no losing the balance if you move the tire on the rim while aired down.

Here's a link to the website http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did quite a bit of reading on several boards before I tried it and couldn't find anything about BB's tearing up the inside of the tire. As for bouncing around? I don't really see how maybe when you stop or are moving really slow. The way I see it, it's like swinging a bucket full of water around, the water will stay in the bucket everytime. I used the chart from the link above, it called for 10 oz, I think I ended up putting 11 oz in. I feel a shake here and there but 90% of the time it is great. Plus the 5 bucks I spent on BB's sure beats the 50-75 I would have had to spend on equal. Oh yeah I'm running 35x13.50 Bias Baja Claws.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
repeated peppering of the inside rubber of the tire over some period of time is bound to wear it down, and when you wheel, you're going slowly. Whatever though, go ahead.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Now lets hear from someone who actually runs this set up, namely myself.

Now, initially when I went to 35s, It took a TON of rim wieghts on the inside and outside to balance them. for one, I didn't like the way it looked, for two, I was ripping them off on the trasil constantly. So I did some research on BB Balancing.

I got a big box of copperhead BBs (since I also have a BB gun). My research indicated that for a 35" tire, approximately 5 ounces of BBs would be perfect. So I pulled the wheels from the YJ, broke the bead and poured 5 ounces of BBs in each tire. I have been running this way first without beadlocks for 8 months and now with beadlocks for the past 4 or so months.

I can tell you for a fact that the insides of my tires suffered ZERO damage of any kind from running the BBs in them. I know because I had to pull the tires off to weld on the beadlock rings and I checked each tire very well.

this set up DOES work and it works well for larger tires.
the Pros:
1. No visible weights on the outside of the rim
2. No lost or damaged weights from wheeling
3. (non beadlock benefit) when the tire slips on the rim at trail pressures, it doesnt throw off your balance
4. Works well at speed

middle ground:
1. When you stop, you will likely hear the BBs fall onto the rim and roll to the bottom of the tire. honestly, not really a big deal

cons:
none that i can think of

·
Registered
340 Posts
OK - I've heard several times about this method and how well it works. The anal-retentive engineer in me is dying to know HOW it works though.

I understand inertia keeps the bb's slung to the outside of the tire when spinning, but how on earth to the bb's "know" to go to the correct place in the tire each and every time they spin? Is there a lag time from the time you start rolling when the tires are out of balance, and possibly the oscillations from being out of balance helps to channel the bb's to the lighter part of the tire?

Also - how is it possible that only 5 oz of BB's can take care of any out of balance situation on a tire as big as 35"? Isn't it common to use much more weight than that if using traditional wheel weights? Is it that the bb's are spinning at the outside edge of the tire instead of the wheel, creating a longer moment arm?

Somebody help me understand the theory here......

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Matt, try a search on Pirate. I personally am no engineer and didn't even understand half of your questions. However, some of the guys on Pirate are engineers so they may well have answerewd that question in the past.

I don't know exactly HOW the BB balancing method works, all I know or really even care about is that it DOES work. I've been running the 5 ounces of BBs in my 35s for a bit over a year now and have not had any problems, and it works well. no tire wobble or vibes even cruising on the highway at 75 mph

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for backing me up a bit YJ, I think I can answer one of the questions asked above, this is how I understood it to work. About the lag time, until the BB's find their home that is, At low speeds you don't really notice an unbalanced tire. So by the time you get going fast enough to notice it, the BB's have seated in and are doing what they do.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
5 ounces is alot when you're 18 inches away from the axis of rotation. Rotating items tend to balance themselves out whenever possible, I'm not sure exactly how it works either but I can ask my physics professor.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm trying it!

I ripped an 8" tear in the sidewall of one of my GOOD MT/Rs :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall so I mounted up two of my brand new bfg M/Ts and put 6.5 ounces of airsoft bbs in them. Will see tomorrow how it all works out

·
Registered
156 Posts
I know this thread is ANCIENT, but it was the first one that popped up when googling "balancing jeep tires with airsoft bb's" so I wanted to throw my two cents in for anyone who comes across this thread. I got some 33x12.50R15 BFG KO2's from 4wd.com and used their mount and balance service to have them delivered ready to throw on the jeep. Well the balance job that they did was terrible. I know from experience that it is a total PITA to balance tires that big, so I cut them some slack, but it has had a shake since I put the tires on. Not bad, but noticeable.

A year has past and I just rotated the spare into the mix, and let me tell you it shook so bad at anything over 55 that I had to factor in a few extra minutes for my commute.

My old man, grandfather, and uncles have been balancing their motorcycle tires with dynabeads and airsoft pellets for years, so I figured I'd give it a try. I just got finished putting 8oz of seamless, .25g airsoft bb's in each tire and WOW. It has absolutely no vibration up to 75 (as fast as I dare go in the old girl) Again, I know this thread is old, but I wanted another testimonial available for anyone who is considering balancing their tires with this method.

·
Registered
1981 Jeep CJ5
658 Posts
Nice to keep threads current, for newer family members to reference.
Thanks for renewing :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts