Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my battery is only about a year old, but seems to not hold a charge. It charges, and the car will start after that, but then after a day or so it will die. It's almost like a light isn't turning off or something. Does this sound like a defective battery? I haven't gotten it load tested yet.

On a related note, I went to jump start it this morning, and as soon as I hooked up my jump starter, the horn started honking. I didn't want to wake everyone in my neighborhood, so I didn't jump it. (the battery pack I was using said to leave it connected for five minutes before starting) How can I connect it without the horn honking?

This is a 2015 Cherokee Limited, V6.

·
Registered
10,526 Posts
sounds like the low voltage is triggering the sentry.

Few years back on the Rubicon a JKU had a battery issue. Generally not a big deal. But in the effort to get it started some how it went into a anti-theft mode. Was dragged to the springs, they had a jeep tech come in and no joy. they tried to drag it Tahoe with buggies, no joy. Then they called in the Unimog and that dragged it out. Dealer had reset it all was fine. But it seemed what they did is tried to many times to start with to low a voltage. Hard to say

I had a 08 Pontiac that when the battery after a few years got old. I would set off its alarm and that horn would not stop, until it has started. it was not dead as well. just to low it seems.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like the low voltage is triggering the sentry.

Few years back on the Rubicon a JKU had a battery issue. Generally not a big deal. But in the effort to get it started some how it went into a anti-theft mode. Was dragged to the springs, they had a jeep tech come in and no joy. they tried to drag it Tahoe with buggies, no joy. Then they called in the Unimog and that dragged it out. Dealer had reset it all was fine. But it seemed what they did is tried to many times to start with to low a voltage. Hard to say

I had a 08 Pontiac that when the battery after a few years got old. I would set off its alarm and that horn would not stop, until it has started. it was not dead as well. just to low it seems.
Interesting. I'm planning on jumping it when I get home this afternoon, then I'll clear some space in the garage and put it in there tonight so I can jump it in the morning again if needed.

It has an appointment with the dealer next Monday. Thankfully it's still under warranty. I also want to load test the battery.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems like the dash lights are coming on. We were coming home last night, and my wife noticed that the dash lights were on. (We had taken her car) I didn't have my key with me, so it wasn't detecting that. I disconnected the battery and hooked up the charger to it. The charger didn't seem to be doing anything before, which makes sense if the dash lights were on. We'll see.

·
Registered
14,204 Posts
These Cherokees are well known for going through batteries. The batteries
in the 2018, and 2019 were replaced under 3/36k warranty. Look to Batteries
Plus for a Northstar / X2 AGM for your best bet...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out it was a $300 firmware update. There was a service bulletin on the dash flashing. One wonders why this wasn't a recall...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be a "recall" generally need to be body bags or real safety issue. Its gets Federal.

300 bucks to up date firm ware? This is the issue? Jeep is six years old. Has been eating batteries like that till now? nothing odd here. next vac.
No, it just started doing this a couple weeks ago, with no warning. I knew it was draining when I disconnected the battery, and hooked up the charger, and it charged fine. When I left the battery connected, it wouldn't charge, because the dash lights were coming on. All fixed now, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2016 KL and about two weeks ago had the same battery failure problem. Battery died. After recharge, it wouldn't hold a charge so I got a new battery (old one was original and five and a half years old). After about four days, battery dropped to 5 volts. Recharged and I noticed the dash lights were on. They would stay on for about 50 seconds, then off for two seconds, then on again.
Researched on line and noticed TSB 08-024-16 REV B had the "dash lights stay on for more than 10 minutes after engine turn off". Required update of RF Hub software from 68272742AB to 68272742AC. One hour of diagnostic and flash.
In my case, still a problem. It was late in the day and I had to use veh next day so I need to go back to sort it out.
I will update if it can be fixed.
This has been a known problem since 2016.

One additional note I just remembered. When battery disconnected, I tested for parasitic current. I have a leakage current of 1.9 amps whereas the spec leakage is supposed to be around 30 to 50 mAmps.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, that's exactly what mine was doing, though I didn't time the dash lights. I see in the TSB that it says "Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty." I assume this means if the vehicle is still under warranty, they'll pay for it, but otherwise no?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If still under warranty, they should reimburse some of the cost. The labor time for the set up and re-flash is 0.2 hrs. (12 minutes) On a hourly rate (for me it is Cdn$135), it would save me Cdn$27. I would still have to pay the hour of diagnostics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts