Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang

I'm a 74 year old wrangler owner. Had a new starter installed in 2020. Problem 6 months later: The Solenoid, (stake on connector) corroded (no boot). Cleaned the corrosion and replaced the stake on connector, then encased the connection with silicon. Two years later it corroded again causing the same connection interruption. Turn the key on, dash lites come on but not enuf 'beef' to turn over the starter. No Click 'Nothing'. I wiggled the stake on connection, (same as before), and it worked. Since the actual starter motor is still good (less than 8K miles), I'm looking to replace the Solenoid (only). Am I able to do that without removing the starter? I'll take a picture to help indentify the entire assembly and try to match a new solenoid?

Thank You ...

·
Registered
2000 Wrangler SE
10 Posts
I would personally remove the starter to inspect and clean it. However, you may want to consider replacing the starter as a whole so that you can start fresh. Consider a different coating on the terminals on the solenoid. A red spray on battery terminal protectant may work well. I use one made by CRC and it goes on wet but gets tacky as it sets up. Also dielectric grease may be an option to coat the terminals in.

Reactions: Filmmaker

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx Guys for all the replies ...! :) I suspected its probably best to 'start over' with another New Starter not knowing if the replacement solenoid mounting holes would line up? Or if it became neccessary to remove the whole darn starter anyway ...? But: before I resort to that, (I still can't believe I only got 8K miles out of this NEW starter)?! The problem is with the darn connection. The OEM Starter gave me 130K miles! I'm gonna try cleaning the damn terminal again (carefully) and this time using a 'BOOT' and a Different Sealant. Any suggestions?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

·
Registered
181 Posts
You might try spray on battery terminal coating like Mazdaverx7 mentioned. Marine Corps Motor Pool guys used to coat battery terminals with vaseline. That, under the boot might work. You definitely don't want to use silicon. It and electricity don't like each other. As you found out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello there CJ - Actually I mistated the use of silicon. It was actually a sealant made specifically for electrical connections (a one time use) in a little package. Anyway I'll give the Mazdaverx a try (with a weather protective boot). Thank You!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts