Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 GC Summit. Owned since new.

I swear the screen picture when in reverse is not very crisp. The screen is clean and the camera is clean. The picture looks like it is a little foggy or low light when in reverse.

Dont recall it being like this when it was new. I think the quality deteriorated over time.

Anyone else have this and know why or if it can be fixed by me or is it an expensive dealer fix?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had this on my 2011, & read that over time the lens yellows. It was not until I replaced ir I realised how bad it had got, as it was not noticeable just looking at it.

If you are fairly handy, it was pretty easy to replace it with one of those cheap Bullet cameras. I took the insides out and used the old camera case to make the mount up, and a bit of wire splicing made the job a good-un. Mines was in there for 3 years before I changed the stock head unit over to an Android about a year ago, and is still in use on the Android.

When I am on my laptop I can probably find my connection notes & possibly some pictures if you think you are up to the challenge.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's such a tiny lens, that I am not sure you would be able to get to it, especially the edges, where I think the black dye from the plastic surround is leaching into the lens.

I must admit that I did not bother looking at the old camera in that sort of detail though, as after reading about it being quite a common issue, I decided to just get on and change it out.

I guess nothing ventured, nothing gained, so could be worth a try one dry weekend.

It's not too bad to remove, inside trim off, then 4 bolts hold the boot handle/camera area on. There are a couple of plugs on the inside that pass through from the handle, but the grommet pops out leaving a big enough hole to pass them through, so you can then take the whole thing to the bench to work on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Coldfinger
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.