Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Premium Member
1984 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been awhile, month's even, that I have not been on the Jeepforum since the "crash". Some of you may know that my 84' CJ-7 was hit by an individual who was in La La Land and turned right in front of me at an intersection early morning July 21, 2020. I was just taking the Jeep to the garage for its annual PA Inspection before heading to work.
It was unfortunate that I had no time to take evasive action from the individual, not even enough time to blow the horn, so a direct hit was inevitable. Brake and brace....

DAMAGE:

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

The worst of the damage is the frame, the foundation of all things. The rest was sheet metal. Drivers fender, hood, grill and front bumper. All of which must be replaced. Plus, my beloved 1979 steering wheel, that was from my deceased friends CJ-5, that got bent just about in half from me bracing during impact.

Tire Car Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle
Picture frame Interior design Architecture Wood Flooring

Drive train wise, bent engine horn brace, bent cooling fan, damaged radiator, and now the T5 transmission leaks between the overdrive and trans housing. I hope that is not cracked.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Boat Watercraft Cabinetry Wood Kitchen appliance

Here's a last picture that will give some perspective on how much the frame bent in the front, just ahead of the front spring mounts.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car

So that is the extent of the damage. Having the frame repaired was my choice as I looked for two month's trying to find another but they are all rusty around here. Throttle Down frames are not my cup of tea so we didn't go that wrought either. I got paid by the insurance company, they wanted to total it, but we worked with my friends body shop to get the cost of repairs under the amount for total loss and that is why I'm taking this apart myself.

I probably won't respond much to this thread other than posting updates as I have been too busy with work, Virginia property for preparations of retirement and working with Architect among other things. Just too much on my plate to come back here everyday.

I'll post again when I have time.

• Wow
Reactions: MrCamo

·
Premium Member
1984 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FRAME WORK:

Stripped down to the frame and loading it onto my trailer to take to JD Restoration Shop in Huntington Valley PA. Joe Dutzkiewicz owns this place and they do top notch work worthy of Concourse Concierge automobiles that could be displayed at Pebble Beach, CA. They did a better job on my hood two years ago that the factory could ever do.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Bicycle part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Floor Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Frame on the jig and getting straightened better than it was from the factory.

Building Engineering Gas Machine Automotive design

Building Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Automotive design Motor vehicle Aircraft Automotive tire

Font Map Gadget Parallel Engineering

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Very glad you are ok, Keith, and glad to see your thread. Jim mentioned you had an accident while driving your CJ, and have been wondering how you and the Jeep were. Knowing the history of this jeep, and how meticulously you rebuilt it does indeed make seeing the images akin to a gut punch.

Look forward to seeing your progress, and cheering you along over here.

Hoov

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
OMG Keith, I had NO IDEA! I'm so sorry this happened to you, but confident that you will be able to bring it back yet once again.

Hoss

·
Registered
912 Posts
Glad you are OK, Sorry about the Jeep, she sure was nice.

Good Luck with the rebuild, looks like you're off to a good start. But Sucks you have to...:frown2:

·
Premium Member
9,280 Posts
I remember when it happened. I've been wondering what you were up to in regard to fixing your CJ and hoping you were fine. It sure is a shame to see all of this that's happened. I can only imagine how you've felt. I'd sure be glad to help in any way I can so keep that in mind if the need comes up. You sure have been missed around here. People have asked about you, many didn't know about the accident. Keith you've been such a great help on this forum to all of us. It seems that any time something needed to be answered in the way of Jeep history or technical information you always had the answer and we always could count on it being accurate. Many of us are in your debt! I'm subscribing and will look forward to seeing your progress. Thanks for letting us all know what's going on.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Good to have you back.
So glad you are OK!
I heard about the accident and really appreciate the update.
You have been the "gold standard" and go-to guy for good info and inspiration for many years.
Jeep Forum is not the same without you!
Please let us know how we can help.

·
Premium Member
1984 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Never got hurt but was more pissed off with the situation than anything. I have had this Jeep since new for 36 years and never had an accident in any vehicle except for the last two years. Truck got hit twice in rear and side, both not our fault and the Jeep from simple minded individuals in SE Pennsylvania who are oblivious to their surroundings. I'm done with Pennsylvania, where I have lived my entire life, and can't wait to move to Virginia when I retire in a few years. Retirement can't come quick enough!

The good news is I'm in no rush to get the Jeep back on the road as I do not want to drive it around where I live anymore. I don't care if it takes the next 3 or 4 years to complete but I know it won't take that long. Been to busy at work where COVID-19 has not slowed our business down one bit but is more of the opposite. We don't have enough people to cover the work load as it is.

I'm more happy on my John Deere tractor bush hogging our 16 acres in VA to prep the land for a new house to be built in a few years...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1984 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Currently stripping the engine down while the frame is healing at the shop. Nothing wrong with the engine except bent cooling fan, which I have balanced already, and a bent passenger side frame mount horn that I will need to replace if I can find one. I think I had a set a few years back but sold or gave them away to someone on the forum in need. I have to check my inventory and if I can't find one, I'm sure one of you guys can cough one up.

I put the engine on the stand so I could strip it down for a new coat and color of paint. Back when I was restoring the Jeep I decided to use an old Ford blue that AMC used back in the day but regretted it ever since. It clashes with the Sebring red color too much and AMC blue was not used in 1984 either. So I will paint it, its original color of gloss black but powder coat the aluminum valve cover a red tone to match MSD ignition box of red/burgundy. The MSD unit and the Aluminum valve cover both have highlighted fins that match and both are seen in the engine bay clearly. I think it will look good.

MY whole engine is powder coated so I must de-gloss it so the VHT paint sticks to it.

Attachments

Reactions: Jim1611

·
Premium Member
9,245 Posts
Damn, Keith, I've been hunting and traveling a lot lately, so this is the first I've heard of your accident. The pics of your masterpiece CJ all bent up makes me sick to my stomach. So glad you weren't hurt.

Knowing you, your CJ will come back from the dead better than new.

Matt
Jeez Keith, sorry to see that. You took such great care of that Jeep. All it takes is an inattentive driver... Yep, I know the final result will be nicer than anything that rolled out of the factory. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I always loved your Old Ford Blue engine paint - I was so inspired by the unique look that I painted one of mine the same color. I know you are a stickler for accuracy, authenticity and originality so gloss black makes sense for the 84 258. The black does not show the oil leaks as well as the blue. Now that could be good or bad, depending on your perspective. Is your bell housing seen on the floor wire brushed to give it that depth of aluminum color?

Love the tractor, mower attachment and magnificent property.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts