Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

AzDevilYJ's build thread... finally

362861 Views 3670 Replies 118 Participants Last post by  jeep_boy02
SO im a little late to the game with this build thread, about 4 years to be exact but never to late :D The first few pages are just catching this thread up to date.

Background: I got this jeep from a hunting pal of my dads for $2K and all it needed was a fuel pump. Pretty simple and great deal if you ask me! :2thumbsup:

Year - 1995 YJ 2.5L/Ax-5 Rio Grande Edition

Day I brought her home

So heres about 6 months after i brought her home... Mods had already began here with some 130w KCs and 30x9.50 Mud Claws.

And Current Pic- 35x12.5 Baja Claws; Metalcloak 4" arched fender; Poison spyder trail stinger, steel corners, and hood louvers; Warn Sliders, ENGO 9k winch, Lock-Rite up front, open rear, Ford injectors, 4.0TB, Cold Air intake, Inertia Ring on flywheel, Taurus Fan, 2 -2x3 LED fogs upfront, 40" LED bar on windsheid, LED rocklights and gauges; durango steering box, 136 GC alternator, and im sure im missing things.

Hope everyone enjoys the build up :cheers2:
3661 - 3671 of 3671 Posts

· Premium Member
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,662 ·
More unfun maintenance, but I replaced the upper flex hose with a molded one from a 94 Silverado. I just had to trim about 5” off the radiator side and it fit nicely which was a surprise. I used some abrasion guards I pillaged off some vehicles at the junkyard

Sent from the side of the road

· Premium Member
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,663 ·
Before I can really take it on the road I gotta figure out a new home for the license plate. I was thinking of making a hitch receiver mount for it, but I don’t know if i like the idea of it being hitch mounted.

The tire carrier has provisions for it but that isn’t mounted 24/7 depending on what trails I will be running.

· Premium Member
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,665 ·
epoxy some strong magnets to it and slap it on where ever need be
I never even considered that. That’s a good idea.

Although…. I got lazy and put it on the carrier to be able to start driving the Jeep. I started mounting the carrier 2 nights ago, and got the mounts drilled and bolted in last light.

Mounted the smitty net, spare tire and fuel cans so I can just get them off the ground in the garage for now. I need to build some shelves in the garage.

I really love the look of the genright carrier, and the added rear weight really make the Jeep ride like a buttery Cadillac.

· Premium Member
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,666 ·
I also got a heater hose setup figured out. It was a little complicated because the Vortec 350 uses a coolant bypass hose from the water pump to the intake manifold, but the heater hoses also wants to use those ports.

The stock Vortec pulley system has a particular water pump with 2 ports in it, as opposed to the tbi pulley system I run has an original style long water pump with only one port so it took a little research on how to go about it.

I’ll post more about it once my fittings show up and I’ll explain my work around.

I don’t really NEED a heater in the Jeep, but the extra coolant capacity and basically the back up secondary heat exchanger will be beneficial

· Premium Member
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,668 ·
So I drive the Jeep about 40 miles down the highway on Saturday, granted it was about 40° outside, the jeep stayed right about 200° going uphill 65-70mph.

I have my Taurus fan ran through the Holley sniper so I can electronically adjust the on/off based on the coolant temps, so I moved the on to 205° and off to 195°.

The jeep never got over 205 and coming home slightly downhill from North Phoenix the fan didn’t kick on until I got off the highway, and again never over the fan temp. Basically hits 205, fan comes on and the temps fall fast until the tan kicks off, and then it just cycles on and off on the surface roads.

It was pouring rain (just a mesh sunshade top on the Jeep) and very cold for Phoenix weather so I’m attributing some of the temps to the ambient weather. I was a little wet when I got home :laugh:

So I’m still waiting on my manifold fitting but I went ahead and plumbed my heater hoses. I’m going to run a T fitting from the water pump hose to the manifold and the heater core to accomplish the coolant bypass needed for the Vortec heads.

It originally ran from the pump to that elbow but In order to get the heater in-line I had to get a little creative. I think I’m going to pull the thermostat and drill one or two 1/8” holes in the flange to kind of accomplish the same thing. I will probably wait for summer to swap water pumps if this doesn’t fix the problem.

· Premium Member
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,669 ·
Hopefully I can accomplish more consistent temps. Lol it’s never ending

Got the bypass ran

And every Chevy forum I read recommended drilling the thermostat with 1-2 1/8” holes. So I opted for 2 [emoji23]

· Premium Member
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,670 ·
150 mile total shakedown run yesterday on the back road to crown king trail. Temps stayed right around 180 but the trans warms up a bit here and there. All in all the suspension works amazing, the front setup was great. Jeep soaks up washboard very well when there isn’t 30lbs of air in the tires but I could do 45mph down some of the dirt roads smooth as glass.

I’m weeping atf from a few spots and I lost a bolt to the trans mount adapter housing again. Hopefully I didn’t crack it again. I’m going to clean it out today and do a little diagnostic

I didn’t get very many pics but took a couple when we would stop.

3661 - 3671 of 3671 Posts