Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
3581 - 3600 of 3636 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,581 ·
Looking good. I just used brake line for all of the tube work on my 1/10 crawler. We are moving into the 1/24 now. I'm getting the 3d print files to build the kit below... it does come with the file for the YJ grill.

Dude that’s awesome!! Can’t wait to see what you do with it. I might have to do one of those next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,582 ·
Drove the Jeep around today, and it does not like the 115° weather we’re having. I got to about 224° before I got home. It cools off when I stop at idle but I need to check oil and coolant levels once it cools back off

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,585 ·
Well I swapped 2 of the 3 gallons of coolant in the system with distilled, and I threw in a bottle of water wetter for lubrication and corrosion protection. I don’t believe it actually keeps temps down but it can’t hurt.

I ran it at idle in my 110°+ garage for like 25 minutes with the cap off to burp any air, and it stayed right around the fan-on temp of 192°.

The fan would cool it to 189 and it would kick off and it cycled the fan on/off around 192° every few minutes for the entire time.

I added a 19-21lb Moroso radiator cap to help with the high% water content

I'm going to drive around soon like that with the winch on, and try it with the winch off and see what the temp difference is.

I was also thinking of kicking my fan-on temp up to 205 so I can try and keep it off while driving around to help the air pass through the grill.

I’m pretty stumped as to what the issue is. I have all the best parts I can throw at it, aside from replacing my $400 radiator with a $1000 radiator lol the difference would be my 1” tubes compared to griffin and entropy radiators run 1-1/4 tubes. I don’t freakin know tho.

It’s very annoying so many people can run v8s no problem, and I can’t seem to catch a break.

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,592 ·
Calm before the storm, getting ready to load up

Made it to ashlands and started digging in right away

We got the Jeep and axle prepped in about 5 hours. Record speed through the whole weekend

Brackets tacked and links mocked up for the wheelbase and geometry.

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,593 ·
Once we got the links figured out we picked a placement for the shock mounts and started cutting. One thing we did different is cut the whole frame out and pushed the tower tight to the body, as well as radiused the bottom of the tower for extra clearance at full droop. Everything looked great so we burned it in and cycled the suspension with tires on.

Ashland also made a super clean frame/cage tie-in with the tower. Looks like it came from Barnes. Small detail with a killer finish.

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,594 ·
I didn’t get a ton of pics after that point since it was little stuff like brakes, paint, and general reinstall.

I ended up at 105” wheelbase with no front stretch and the tires poke out the back I’ll have no issue with departure angle :laugh:

We finished the whole project in 2 days and shook it down on day 3

I had some issues with shearing off my apex designs rapid valve stems which made for a long morning, but today I splurged at ordered some Beadlocks

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,595 ·
I still have some work to do in the front suspension redoing some of the leaf setup, I have motobilt blank armor for the rear, and I ordered a new bullet muffler and a cat to redo the exhaust

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Nice work and update. Really dig the mounting and molding of the towers, I may have to remember that for my LJ!

I also really like the mag/D window look of those beadlocks, whose are those?

probably wrenchin instead of wheelin

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,600 ·
Nice work and update. Really dig the mounting and molding of the towers, I may have to remember that for my LJ!

I also really like the mag/D window look of those beadlocks, whose are those?

probably wrenchin instead of wheelin
Sidetracked offroad out of California

3581 - 3600 of 3636 Posts