Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
3441 - 3460 of 3553 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,441 ·
Thinking about brake upgrades.

My front axle needs a rotor replacement, they’re the original brakes that were in the axle when I got it, and the brakes are less than impressive. My dana 30 brakes were better than the D44.

I’ve been looking at replacing the rotors, or the double brake booster, or the brake upgrade kit from Lugnut4x4. I’m leaning toward the lugnut4x4 kit, but thought I’d see what your guys thought are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,779 Posts
What did Dan end up doing to get good brakes? I know that he was fighting the same issue for a while with the same axles.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,443 ·
What did Dan end up doing to get good brakes? I know that he was fighting the same issue for a while with the same axles.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
@The_Goob ?

·
Premium Member
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,445 ·
Does Black Magic Brakes make a big brake kit for the YJ 30?
I had black magic brakes from about a year before I did the 8lug swap, TJ/YJ dana 30 run same calipers.

They don't make them for a Ford D44HD tho

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Don’t a lot of people run a booster and MC from a dodge or Ford van? It’s been a while since I looked into this stuff. Good friend of mine runs stock brakes on his D44HD and disks on his D60 rear and has excellent brakes. But he has some sort of Van booster and MC setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,447 ·
Don't a lot of people run a booster and MC from a dodge or Ford van? It's been a while since I looked into this stuff. Good friend of mine runs stock brakes on his D44HD and disks on his D60 rear and has excellent brakes. But he has some sort of Van booster and MC setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have the dodge 2500 MC, but still run my stock yj booster

·
Registered
944 Posts
How much changing around would be needed to run the matching booster for the MC?

My power wagon brakes are great but it is hydro also.

Sent from my SM-A015A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
Thinking about brake upgrades.

My front axle needs a rotor replacement, they're the original brakes that were in the axle when I got it, and the brakes are less than impressive. My dana 30 brakes were better than the D44.

I've been looking at replacing the rotors, or the double brake booster, or the brake upgrade kit from Lugnut4x4. I'm leaning toward the lugnut4x4 kit, but thought I'd see what your guys thought are

I love my Astro Van hydro boost and it works with the steering ram although I've been told it can be an issue sometimes. I'm also running a Corvette master and it stops the 39's well.
If your wanting to stay vacuum then I would just run a TJ booster with a Durango 1.063 bore to match. That's what I was running before I installed the hydro assist.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
The Dual Diaphragm booster will make a huge difference. I used a TJ one because they are easier to get than the '95 4.0 only one. I just had to cut and weld the rod.... real simple.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
What's the problem you are having with the brakes? I'll guess a hard pedal and not enough power, but figured some details would help direct the suggestions.

Being a 95 I would expect you already have the dual diaphragm booster. The only item that jumped out looking through your setup was that the dodge mc is a larger bore (1.25") than the stock 3/4 ton Ford (1-1/8") the front axle came from.

Depending on the symptoms that may or may not be related.

·
Premium Member
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,452 ·
I have a single diaphragm, only the 4.0 engine got the dual.

Just not enough clamping force mostly. It doesn’t hold the Jeep down obstacles which is scary, and even 4lo will push through on flat ground

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
Don’t mess around if it’s pushing that hard on flat ground bud just hydro boost it and be done with it. I wish I had done it sooner when it was all said and done and you watch how it went on Highdive when we did BTR. No issues at all with control or pushing. It’s one of the best mods I’ve done to the Jeep to this point.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Don't mess around if it's pushing that hard on flat ground bud just hydro boost it and be done with it. I wish I had done it sooner when it was all said and done and you watch how it went on Highdive when we did BTR. No issues at all with control or pushing. It's one of the best mods I've done to the Jeep to this point.
We really need to get all of us together to drive each other's Jeeps... lol. I feel exactly the same way about installing the DD booster in mine. It made such a huge difference in my braking performance. I would like to drive a Jeep similar to mine with Hydroboost and see if there really is much of a difference.

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
Don't mess around if it's pushing that hard on flat ground bud just hydro boost it and be done with it. I wish I had done it sooner when it was all said and done and you watch how it went on Highdive when we did BTR. No issues at all with control or pushing. It's one of the best mods I've done to the Jeep to this point.
We really need to get all of us together to drive each other's Jeeps... lol. I feel exactly the same way about installing the DD booster in mine. It made such a huge difference in my braking performance. I would like to drive a Jeep similar to mine with Hydroboost and see if there really is much of a difference.
For sure, I take it your going to make the /f12 Moab 2022 trip then? If you do you can try mine for sure.
When I went to hydro boost from the DD booster and Durango master I need to check my notes but I think I picked up 400-600 psi at the calipers even though I also moved to a bigger master bore at the same time. I can lock all four of my 39's up on asphalt although I only tried it once because the spring wrap the front became so violent I was afraid I would destroy my springs or rip the hangers off the frame. For the money it's the only brake upgrade I would do now if I had to start over and I spent way less on it then I did trying to get a DD and master combo to work how I needed it to.
I do understand that it's not for everyone it's just another option.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Just not enough clamping force mostly. It doesn't hold the Jeep down obstacles which is scary, and even 4lo will push through on flat ground
That is likely a symptom of the master being too large for the calipers. The dual diaphragm booster (or hydro-boost) would probably help since it should up the force being put into the master. Dropping to a 1-1/8" bore master would likely help as well.

I'm still running the standard booster on mine with the dodge mc, but the 1 ton calipers are a bit larger. For comparison, the factory Chevy 1 ton truck my axle came from used a 1-5/16" mc.

·
Premium Member
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,457 ·
That is likely a symptom of the master being too large for the calipers. The dual diaphragm booster (or hydro-boost) would probably help since it should up the force being put into the master. Dropping to a 1-1/8" bore master would likely help as well.

I'm still running the standard booster on mine with the dodge mc, but the 1 ton calipers are a bit larger. For comparison, the factory Chevy 1 ton truck my axle came from used a 1-5/16" mc.
I'm running 3/4 ton brakes. They're same size as the d60 for the similar years. Late 70s Ford big dual piston

·
Premium Member
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,458 ·
For sure, I take it your going to make the /f12 Moab 2022 trip then? If you do you can try mine for sure.
When I went to hydro boost from the DD booster and Durango master I need to check my notes but I think I picked up 400-600 psi at the calipers even though I also moved to a bigger master bore at the same time. I can lock all four of my 39's up on asphalt although I only tried it once because the spring wrap the front became so violent I was afraid I would destroy my springs or rip the hangers off the frame. For the money it's the only brake upgrade I would do now if I had to start over and I spent way less on it then I did trying to get a DD and master combo to work how I needed it to.
I do understand that it's not for everyone it's just another option.
My only issue is I just replaced the steering pump with a Psc unit, and don't want to trash an expensive pump. Had I have known better I should have gotten the hydroboost pump

3441 - 3460 of 3553 Posts