Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone hope posting this in right area I need some help or maybe if someone could direct me to someone that could help .I have a 79 jeep j10 with a 258 ,a 6inch soa lift and a t18 granny gear mated to dana 20 ,the dana 44s have 3.54 gears 35" tires .my problem is I need to know what would be best ring and pinion size to switch to cause here in area of Texas that I live these hill are like mount everest to my truck .it has no pick up and go and hills that to steep get the engine really hot .iv been doing research and some say 4.88 gears are good for hills and healing cause I do have a gas welder ridding around with Me

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
So, you actually have two problems.
First is simply the engine is too small for a full sized pickup that does anything more than drive around. Compound that with the added lift, tires, and the insane speeds that Texans drive and you are underpowered right out of the gate.

The next is the obvious issue with your gearing. For a 258,
Driving empty, I would opt for 4.11's.
Light loads and mild hills, 4.56's.
Heavy loads and passes 4.88's.

If you are contemplating an engine upgrade in the future, smaller tires, or an OD transmission, then be sure to tailor your gearing accordingly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts