Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Speaking of doing it right. Carriers aren't expensive though the gears can be. Sell your extra axles and gear right the first time. You didn't say what your tire size is but unless its 235/75 those 3.55s are a waste of money to install

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Speaking of doing it right. Carriers aren't expensive though the gears can be. Sell your extra axles and gear right the first time. You didn't say what your tire size is but unless its 235/75 those 3.55s are a waste of money to install
Are we reading the same post? I am not installing anything but the complete axles with 3.54s at this time. I will be moving up to 4:10's eventually. I have 2:73's now. Any step closer is better and an axle swap is a simple job.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Are we reading the same post? I am not installing anything but the complete axles with 3.56s at this time. I will be moving up to 4:10's eventually. I have 2:73's now. Any step closer is better and an axle swap is a simple job.
you'll spend no money on brakes, fluids,steering,sanding,painting,etc?time invested? I'm well aware of your plan. You asked for alternative solutions. If you aren't doing it right the first time its usually a waste of time

What is your tire size?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
you'll spend no money on brakes, fluids,steering,sanding,painting,etc?time invested? I'm well aware of your plan. You asked for alternative solutions. If you aren't doing it right the first time its usually a waste of time

What is your tire size?
The ask was alternative paint beautification/durability ideas to por15. Not how to sell axles and start again. haha. I know where I need to be with gearing and how to achieve my desired hardware results.

My rollers are 35 but will go down to 33 once it is time (sooner then later). I have a t-5 and 5th is unusable with that tire size & 2:73 (hell 33's are barely passable as well with that set up). The gear ratio chart puts me at 4:10 for the sweet spot of 33's (no wheeling, just a cool near factory refresh cruising CJ).

I got them for cheap so it is was an simple buy. It is much easier to work on a spare set of axels then it is to work on ones that are attached to the jeep. Unfortunately I no longer have a large garage I can spread a project out in and leave for longer times. I have to be more judicious about starting and finishing each part I take off so I can open up the room for the next phase. Once finished with the painting and I can drop them to the gear installer without the need for my jeep to be functional. Get them back and swap. I have all fall and winter to get this done now since summer is coming to an end.

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,281 Posts
I have had good luck with simple Krylon spray enamel. Getting the rust/scale knocked down and a couple of good coats of red rust primer and then a couple of coats of enamel will give you the best coverage and not be uv affected like POR15. POR15 to me is the same as just shooting bedliner over the floorboards, just a hack way to try and cover up the mess without doing anything to try and remedy the situation.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The ask was alternative paint beautification/durability ideas to por15. Not how to sell axles and start again. haha. I know where I need to be with gearing and how to achieve my desired hardware results.

My rollers are 35 but will go down to 33 once it is time (sooner then later). I have a t-5 and 5th is unusable with that tire size & 2:73 (hell 33's are barely passable as well with that set up). The gear ratio chart puts me at 4:10 for the sweet spot of 33's (no wheeling, just a cool near factory refresh cruising CJ).

I got them for cheap so it is was an simple buy. It is much easier to work on a spare set of axels then it is to work on ones that are attached to the jeep. Unfortunately I no longer have a large garage I can spread a project out in and leave for longer times. I have to be more judicious about starting and finishing each part I take off so I can open up the room for the next phase. Once finished with the painting and I can drop them to the gear installer without the need for my jeep to be functional. Get them back and swap. I have all fall and winter to get this done now since summer is coming to an end.
So if the plan is to regear the original axles this winter don't bother with expensive crap like por15 on the 3.55 axles. Hit em with spray paint and be done.

·
Registered
1995 ZJ, 1997 ZJ, 1998 ZJ
335 Posts
Just my $0.02 , but I have had good luck with this.

1.Wire brush the metal.
2. Wipe it down well, perhaps even with alcohol and let it sit a few days.
3. Treat it with a water based rust converter. Let it sit a few days.
4. Prime it with a rattle can primer.
5. Paint it with rattle can engine paint.

It is easy to do, can be done basically anywhere, does not require any special tools, is super easy to repair, and it works. It holds up for years. Again, that is my experience in my area. If you live in Florida, it may not work so well as I have no experience with that environment.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts