Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

AX15 Clutch source? Internal Slave

312 Views 5 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Fistem99
I have a 1991 xj with an AX15 swapped into it. The clutch went bad and I can’t seem to find a new clutch for it. It has an internal slave cylinder. Can anyone share where to find a clutch?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,038 Posts
I have a 1991 xj with an AX15 swapped into it. The clutch went bad and I can’t seem to find a new clutch for it. It has an internal slave cylinder. Can anyone share where to find a clutch?
www.rockauto.com is a good place to buy parts.

Try to find out what year XJ the AX15 came from. Since it has an internal slave, it could have come from a 1989-1992 or a 1993 XJ. The 1993 uses a different clutch kit than the others. I'm sorry, I cannot tell you the difference.

Once you find out what you need, Sachs, Valeo, Luk are reputable aftermarket brands.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Try to find out what year XJ the AX15 came from. Since it has an internal slave, it could have come from a 1989-1992 or a 1993 XJ. The 1993 uses a different clutch kit than the others. I'm sorry, I cannot tell you the difference.

Once you find out what you need, Sachs, Valeo, Luk are reputable aftermarket brands.
Roger I’ll try to figure that out. The person I bought it from said she tried 3 separate clutches and none of them worked. I’m trying to only do it once so I’m doing a lot of due diligence. Is there any way to figure out the year of the transmission by its serial number?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

As I’m combing over the jeep I noticed that the tv cable isn’t installed. The person I bought it from said it was really difficult to get into gear and when she did the jeep would lurch. From what I’ve read the tv cable controls the pressure within the transmission and would cause all those problems. Only problem now is I can’t find where it is. Lol

· Registered
1,038 Posts
You can download a Jeep parts catalog for the 91-93 Jeeps at www.xjjeeps.com. It has the part numbers and diagrams for all Jeeps those years.

The diagrams show some differences between 91 and the 92-93 AX-15. For instance:
The input gear of the 91 is p/n 5252081 and googling it shows it to have a pilot diameter of 5/8 inch.
The 92-93 input gear is 4636370 and it has a pilot dia of 3/4 inch. To confirm that I suppose you would have to pull the transmission to see.

It is also important to have the right pilot bushing.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can download a Jeep parts catalog for the 91-93 Jeeps at www.xjjeeps.com. It has the part numbers and diagrams for all Jeeps those years.
I have the trans serial number. I looked it up and it says it is a 1989-1991. That narrows it down. Thank you for the info!
The diagrams show some differences between 91 and the 92-93 AX-15. For instance:
The input gear of the 91 is p/n 5252081 and googling it shows it to have a pilot diameter of 5/8 inch.
The 92-93 input gear is 4636370 and it has a pilot dia of 3/4 inch. To confirm that I suppose you would have to pull the transmission to see.

It is also important to have the right pilot bushing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.