Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mmmmmm.... Milk!
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:

I'm doing the WJ brake swap on my ZJ and I need to weld a spacer to the WJ knuckle. Looking at youtube videos, it was recommended to use 308L stainless MIG wire for welding the spacer to the knuckle. I ordered a 2lb roll per the product description on Amazon but I received ER308.

Is there a difference that I need to be concerned with or can I use it?

Is the video that I watched wrong and should I be using a different MIG wire all together? (I'm aware of the pre-heating and slow cooling processs required)

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,859 Posts
no expert and i only stick weld but it seems odd to use stainless on steel that is cast?. i would use just old 7018 on my Lincoln 220 that i have a long time. about all i use anyway.

maybe someone that is a pro could jump in. But this section tends to be kinda dead at times.

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
I welded mine with regular flux core wire.... Realistically, if you didn't even weld that spacer, you'd be fine. You're just sandwiching the spacer between the unit bearing and the knuckle and torquing the 3 bolts down super tight. The spacer can't even move until you shear all 3 bolts and the spacing is going to be pretty trivial at that point. Welding does make things a lot easier during installation and safer if the bolts get loose but neither of those are really going to make you crash unless you screwed something else up first.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You need a high nickel content of the filler wire/rod.
BUT welding cast iron, you need to heat the part being welded, and slowly cool. Otherwise it can produce tiny little fractures, compromising the cast item. And depending on use, could cause a life threatening situation.

But like he said, it's all sandwiched between there, so I'd probably just get new bolts and med thread locker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.