Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a ton of you guys use PB Blaster like it's going out of style, but which do you think actually has better results? I haven't tried the atf/acetone mix yet, but I've read others who swear by it. I kinda like the smell of pbb but I want to try the atf/acetone. Also, doesn't it seem more cost effective to have the mix instead of using an aerosol can which doesn't hold much?:)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
PB Blaster=ok. A 50/50 mix of acetone & ATF=Best Ever! Here's the cold, hard facts from the April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop. They did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better.

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
None ................. 516 pounds .
WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

From another thread

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
So this is saying that Liquid Wrench is better than PB Blaster? I hope so because I've always used Liquid Wrench and have been thinking about getting some PB Blaster because I hear it a lot on here. Guess I'm staying with my old favorite...Liquid Wrench!:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
700 Posts
I used to be a strictly PB blaster kinda guy. Read that other thread about the ATF/acetone. So I went to harbor freight and bought a refillable aeresol can, and mixed some up. Been spraying it on my bumper and power steering box bolts in preperation for my new bumper. We'll see how well it works out.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Cant say how it works Ive always used PB but ive known a cpl of older guys who used brake fluid

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like PB Blaster. I love Deep Creep by seafoam. It is pricy but I have no reservations about ruining anything with it.

Being an Auto Shop Teacher, I spray everyting in the shop with penetrating oil before every summer to prevent rust and Deep Creep has been the best so far.

I am going to try ATF/Acetone for sure, the price is unbeatable.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Acetones pretty bad for you I hear, I would definately wanna be careful handling and touching that stuff. I know PB blaster can eat through cups so would there be anything wrong with putting the ATF/Acetone mixture in a plastic spritzy bottle?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I don't know about the rest, but PB Blaster came to my rescue recently. I was replacing the driveshaft u-joints on a co-worker's TJ. I tried hammering them, even bent the handle on a bench vice to no avail. I remembered buying a can of PB Blaster, and squirted some around the outside of the caps. 2 minutes and a hammer whack later, the u-joints came out no problem.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The numbers speak for themselves here. I too was once a PB blaster user, I still do on ocassion, but I gave the ATF/acetone mix a try and it is now my choice of penetrating oil.
The only problem with it, is the two seperate pretty quickly. So, you're constantly shaking the bottle, but that's a small inconvenience for the performance of the mixture.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Acetones pretty bad for you I hear, I would definitely wanna be careful handling and touching that stuff. I know PB blaster can eat through cups so would there be anything wrong with putting the ATF/Acetone mixture in a plastic spritzy bottle?
Actually, acetone is really not very bad for you at all. It is fairly non-toxic and is non-carcinogenic, remember it is just nail polish remover. However, definitely don't drink it and I wouldn't stand over a concentrated bottle and breathe the vapors. Also it is a very mild skin irritant but it is so volatile that if you spill some on you it will be gone before you can wipe it off. But I would rinse your skin with some water.
Also it is fine to put it in a "spritzy bottle" and that is what I do. Every organic lab in the country uses acetone in a plastic bottle as a solvent. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
228 Posts
KANO Labs Kroil/AeroKroil...

Best penetrating oil you can get.
X10 You bet I'm used to the Sila-Kroil label can an it hands down beat them all. You would have to contact an FBO (fixed base operator) at your local airport or maybe online. If you have no luck pm me and I'll shoot ya the place we buy it from witch I believe is Avial. They only sell to shops. Ken :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually, acetone is really not very bad for you at all. It is fairly non-toxic and is non-carcinogenic, remember it is just nail polish remover. However, definitely don't drink it and I wouldn't stand over a concentrated bottle and breathe the vapors. Also it is a very mild skin irritant but it is so volatile that if you spill some on you it will be gone before you can wipe it off. But I would rinse your skin with some water.
Also it is fine to put it in a "spritzy bottle" and that is what I do. Every organic lab in the country uses acetone in a plastic bottle as a solvent. :thumbsup:
The ATF/acetone mix can be used in plastic bottles, but I believe they have to be a certain grade of plastic. It's the same type of plastic that clorox bathroom spray comes in. By the way, I tried Liquid Wrench and it seems to work pretty well. I've had better luck with it than PB, plus it smells like citronella so I'm wondering if it'll keep the mosquitoes away.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only wish I would have checked this sooner.

I broke my neutral safety switch AND it was still stuck. I used the ATF/Acetone mix and within 4 mins had it loose. Another spray and 10 mins wait later I was able to pull it off the rusted end of the shaft in less than a minute.

It will cost me $150 at least to replace it now. Oh how I wish I knew about ATF/Acetone before this!!!!

Simple lesson, skip the commercial stuff and go to the homebrew. Acetone is not a super safe option, but if you are careful I am sure it beats the others.

Hours with the fumes of the others or 5 mins with acetone. I never got it on me and made sure I was outside for ventilation. The fact you spend so little time due to it actually working must be a huge safety bonus.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had a transmission line blow on my jeep and it sprayed ATF ALL over the driver's side suspension. About a week or two later I installed my lift. I did the passenger side first, everything was corroded and rusted, overall pain the in arse. Driver side on the other had, looked like it was pressure washed, not a hint of corrosion, rust, or dirt. Every single bolt came off with ease. Definitely was enough convincing for me. Since then I've been using the AFT/Acetone :thumbsup:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Would like to hear more about this myself! Any old cheapy ATF and cheap Acetone will work?! that'd be awesome...

Edit; Took it upon myself to try it out. First batch I used ATF+4 with acetone, second with supertech mercon ATF (cheap cheap) and acetone. Gotta say I like the cheap ATF mixture a little better. It's thinner, and mixes better. One thing I did was use a cheap brush and dabble the fluid on instead of spraying. I used maybe 3 oz? and i got to every bolt I could see, and had a little leftover.

I used some on my dad's rims, they're really rusty. Left it on overnight and i'm impressed with the rust neutralizing quality of this mixture. The rust has been on those rims for years, and I can actually see some long forgotten chrome his American Racing Tailgunners had, lol.

Anyway just thought I'd throw up my observation; still haven't taken anything off but definitely noticed it eats away minor rust, and is CHEAP! lol. Gonna get some Kroil off their google special as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.