Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter's 96 mail jeep.
The ASD relay does not activate, creating no power to the coil.
I have found that the blue\yellow wire coming out of the relay and going to the powertrain control module is not reaching ground via the PTCM.
This could be a faulty PTCM or something else could be preventing the PTCM from grounding\activating the ASD relay.
Has anyone solved this problem?

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
you are aware the ASD relay will only supply 12v- for @ 2seconds if engine does NOT start.

The PCM grounds the ASD, without the engine running it will NOT ground the ASD and fuel pump relay for more than 2seconds.

So checking 12v to ignition coil, fuel pump, fuel injectors requires a fast test OR the ASD load side is jumped with a fused jumper.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At initial key on and at starter activation, ASD relay does not click and there is no voltage at the green\orange wire of relay.
With the jumper wire in place of the blue\yellow wire of the ASD relay (and grounded) at key on the relay clicks and there is voltage at the green\orange wire.

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
wow - but I'm not giving up yet !

post the VIN - if your uncomfortable omit the last 6 characters/numbers
I'll search a different way with that info.

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
I am at a loss I tried really tried and cannot find wiring diagrams that utilize that PDC configuration.

Looked at 95, 96 and 97, LHD and RHD, looked at diesel also- I don't like to get stumped on wiring its what I do best.

If you want to try - I'm willing - get me up to speed.
Daughters 1996 jeep -
It was running ?
Anything precede no start? did a tune up, hit a tree, battery went dead, ran out of fuel, you added a ?
the PCM has how many connectors 1 or 3 ?

you claim the DB/YL is not being grounded -
1st does it have 12v?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am at a loss I tried really tried and cannot find wiring diagrams that utilize that PDC configuration.

Looked at 95, 96 and 97, LHD and RHD, looked at diesel also- I don't like to get stumped on wiring its what I do best.

If you want to try - I'm willing - get me up to speed.
Daughters 1996 jeep -
It was running ?
Anything precede no start? did a tune up, hit a tree, battery went dead, ran out of fuel, you added a ?
the PCM has how many connectors 1 or 3 ?

you claim the DB/YL is not being grounded -
1st does it have 12v?
My Daughter keeps it parked at the Post Office, she went out one morning to use it, and it wouldn't start (cranks but does not start). The fuel pump is working, but the GN\OR wire coming out of the ASD relay and at coil has no voltage.
The PCM has 3 connectors.
At key on the DB\YL of the ASD has 12 volts (that wire at the PCM connector also has voltage).
FYI, yesterday I did ohms tests on the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Coil, both test good.

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
LOOK WHAT I FOUND - having diagrams sent to me at my work - will get back to you when I have more time.

Tis has got to be what we need - fingers crossed.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
ok here is what I am seeing* the ASD and fuel pump relays get the 12v control side 12v from same circuit.
the control wire goes to PCM different wires.

look at attachment below -
Do you have 12 v to fuel pump and ASD cavity's 18 and 16?
Turning key to start or run is cavity 20 grounded?

*I am a auto geek NOT a computer geek, the diagrams are NOT PDF and are fighting my copy attempts - I'll get it

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts