Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Couple months ago I bought a 1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 242 transfer case, 42RE, D30/D35 with LSD.

My double cardan started to make terrible noise today, so I took the whole front drive shaft off and I am trying to figure out if I should try to rebuild it (was told it's not the easiest thing to do, and I don't really have enough tools at home to do so), have it rebuilt, or should I replace the whole thing. I am a little confused by the amount of different drive shaft configurations. Looking by part number I found on this forum, one that is identical to mine costs $450-$700. The one pictured below, with a flange in the front is half the price, but the description says its meant for 249.
My question is: will this drive shaft fit my Jeep, after removing the flange (?) from the front? If not, can I make it fit by changing the differential flange? or can I just change the slip yoke from my old drive shaft?
Office supplies Writing implement Font Stationery Tool

My current drive shaft:

Wood Gas Bumper Auto part Metal

Wood Gas Engineering Auto part Composite material

Thank you very much for any help.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Not at all hard to rebuild with basic tools. Remove the clips and pound. Search for youtube u-joint replacement.
If that doesnt interest you take it to a shop and they will rebuild, Im guessing a couple hundred bucks.
I cant confirm or deny but I doubt theres any interchangability.

·
Registered
24,003 Posts
Hi everyone!

Couple months ago I bought a 1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 242 transfer case, 42RE, D30/D35 with LSD.

My double cardan started to make terrible noise today, so I took the whole front drive shaft off and I am trying to figure out if I should try to rebuild it (was told it's not the easiest thing to do, and I don't really have enough tools at home to do so), have it rebuilt, or should I replace the whole thing. I am a little confused by the amount of different drive shaft configurations. Looking by part number I found on this forum, one that is identical to mine costs $450-$700. The one pictured below, with a flange in the front is half the price, but the description says its meant for 249.
My question is: will this drive shaft fit my Jeep, after removing the flange (?) from the front? If not, can I make it fit by changing the differential flange? or can I just change the slip yoke from my old drive shaft?
View attachment 4145442
My current drive shaft:

View attachment 4145444
View attachment 4145443

Thank you very much for any help.
93 to mid 95 they still used U joint shafts with a 249. Mid 95 through 98 they had Rzeppa(CV) shaft for smoother operation with the 249.
Mid 95 to early 96 was a mixed bag.
You want the u joint shaft not the CV shaft.
You'll need to make sure the length is correct too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
That flange adds quite a bit of length to the shaft, if you remove it and install using just the U-joint the shaft may end up being too short.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts