Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a timing chain cover leak (4.7). If I replace the chain what brand is the one you have used. Is there an after-market brand better than OEM? I dont know anything about them. My understanding is what wears is the nylon guides.

·
Premium Member
6,779 Posts
Assuming this is the 4.7L?
True, the guides do wear but usually not before the rest of the engine is pretty much in need of overhaul. The guides are meant to wear and the tensioners are meant to ratchet out to apply the right amount of tension as everything else wears.
I think if the cover needs to be swapped and the guides are looking good with tensioners still having some clicks to go until fully extended, don't bother to swap the chain. I think the Cloyes unit is the one most use if you do it.
Just be aware that pulling that chain may exponentially increase the labor cost as re-timing the engine is a process and it's not for certain that every shop will have the locking components to keep all parts still. If you do go that route, it's probably not much more labor to swap the HG, swap in new valve stem seals and clean up valve surfaces at that point.

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
You don't need a locking device to change the chains, I have done a few times on 4.7's and 3.7's which are identical. Check out my write up.

·
Premium Member
6,779 Posts
Thanks for the clarification CDee.

Reactions: cDee63

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
I am sure the factory probably has some crazy contraption to hold the cams in place, and they do have to be "adjusted" a bit trying to get the marks lined up. I used Vice Grips on the cam to get them in position, the cam only has to moved a bit to get the dowel into the sprocket.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I have a timing chain cover leak (4.7). If I replace the chain what brand is the one you have used. Is there an after-market brand better than OEM? I dont know anything about them. My understanding is what wears is the nylon guides.
Check out Jtec's motto
for advice re OEM V after market,

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am sure the factory probably has some crazy contraption to hold the cams in place, and they do have to be "adjusted" a bit trying to get the marks lined up. I used Vice Grips on the cam to get them in position, the cam only has to moved a bit to get the dowel into the sprocket.
The dealership mechanics used vise grips and a shop towel.

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
But those are dealership Vice Grips and shop towels, MUCH better than regular ones with a price tag to go along, lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts