Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Does anyone have any specs or ideas for front and rear bumbers. What thickness of metal should i use?
I have seen 3/16 and 1/4 inch used. It really depends on what you plan to be doing with it. I know some go strictly for looks so go thinner. If its going to see one h3ll of a beating I would say 1/4. I built mine out of an existing bumper I picked up really cheap off of craigslist. I was originally made of 3/16. I added a 1/4 inch plate on the top for if I ever wanted to mount a winch. Also see my bumper build in my sig. It will at least give you an idea. Also look at different companies for ideas. It took me a while to actually settle on a design I liked.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Looking at building my own bumpers. I can't seem to figure out how far in/ out from the edges the clevis should be mounted. Can any one help me out?
Same width as your frame and inline with the frame.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I see we have a few Designers here. I modeled my rear bumper with Inventor. I'm currently in the building stage. BESRK is cutting the Punisher tire plate for me, and also supplying the D-ring mounts.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Nice...even though it is in Inventor...lol
At my work, they had switched from Solidworks to Inventor just before I got hired. Some of the old SW guys have had a hard time switching over, and they just love to ***** and complain about Inventor, and recall how easy SW was. I've been using only Inventor for the past 10 years. I guess ignorance is bliss. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
lol...I hear you... I have used both, Solidworks much more then inventor so therefore I prefer solidworks. Both are awesome tools that you can do awesome things with.

Have you done anything else in inventor for your jeep?

I am trying to work on some Tube Doors for the heep, but I can't figure out a decent latch.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
lol...I hear you... I have used both, Solidworks much more then inventor so therefore I prefer solidworks. Both are awesome tools that you can do awesome things with.

Have you done anything else in inventor for your jeep?

I am trying to work on some Tube Doors for the heep, but I can't figure out a decent latch.
I haven't modeled anything else with Inventor related to the Jeep. Too busy at work. I don't have a copy at home.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My new roof rack

My son and i were planning this summers "mancation" and decided we wanted to disperse camp and use only our hammocks. Due to the fact we hoped to end up at Moab we didn't know if we would be able to find a place to hang our hammocks so we came up with a plan in the form of a roof rack. I have wanted a roof rack but had a hard time parting with the money to purchase one of good quality. I noted the features i liked most from other racks and went to the shop to build my own. Here is what I came up with. Although we didn't make it to Moab this year, the rack works great and i can't wait for the next time i get to utilize it.

Attachments

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.