Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't speak technically about AC filters but I know they are good. The Motorcraft FL-1A and many others MC's are manufactured by Purolator for Ford and I know that the FL-1A is manufactured to the PureOne spec with a lower price!

·
Registered
467 Posts
97MeanGreenTJ said:
I can't speak technically about AC filters but I know they are good. The Motorcraft FL-1A and many others MC's are manufactured by Purolator for Ford and I know that the FL-1A is manufactured to the PureOne spec with a lower price!
That said I believe I'm going to use the Motorcraft.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Jeepsportster said:
The only thing is that the increased filter capacity and the more oil capacity cancel each other out. Yes you have a larger filter but you also have more oil. Your really not getting anywhere. The difference in oil capacity and filter capacity is not great enough to warrant the use. Yes you think you might save a littel lengthening your interval but now you have to buy more oil each time you change your oil. They really do equal out. There was a huge thread on this before try searching for it.
Yeah guy :wave: both oil capacity and filter size are increasing but not the motor. Which means your oil wont break down as fast and you have an increased filtering capacity. Also you get a larger surface to disipate heat.

·
Registered
467 Posts
[QUOTE='B'wigstrailrig]Yeah guy :wave: both oil capacity and filter size are increasing but not the motor. Which means your oil wont break down as fast and you have an increased filtering capacity. Also you get a larger surface to disipate heat.[/QUOTE]

...but we are only talking about 1/4 of a quart.

My point is, there's not much of an argument here.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
In response to this thread, I went and chucked my Fram Toughguard with less than 300 miles on it for a Purolator PureONE PL30001. I think I may hold on to it and in 3000 miles post autopsy photos of a PureONE next to a Fram. Keep an eye out in April! Dissection question: What would be the most valuable photo, halving the filter lengthwise?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Jeepsportster said:
The only thing is that the increased filter capacity and the more oil capacity cancel each other out. Yes you have a larger filter but you also have more oil. Your really not getting anywhere. The difference in oil capacity and filter capacity is not great enough to warrant the use. Yes you think you might save a littel lengthening your interval but now you have to buy more oil each time you change your oil. They really do equal out. There was a huge thread on this before try searching for it.
That is far from the case. The larger filter surface area allows for less restriction (lowering the mean time before failure). The added oil increases the overall sump capacity of the unit allowing for additional cooling and increased volume for more TBN availability and more dilution of contamination.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
GringoLoco said:
Dissection question: What would be the most valuable photo, halving the filter lengthwise?
Cut around the filter can about .25-.5" above the filters mating surfance. This will seperate the can and allow the filter element to be removed.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Divinitous said:
I use the napagold 1515 filter. Tis the taller one.
I like Wix filters, or their Napa Gold equivalent.
This is an awesome filter. Wix is an A+ excellent brand. As a side note, Wix is apart of the Dana family. Get the NapaGold, it is the same filter. Also, use napa motor oil. It is Valvoline, straight up!

I don't know why you would want to use a bigger filter. I already have to have 6 quarts of oil as it is!:mad: (6 quarts + 1 can of BG, actually)

·
Registered
678 Posts
This is weird. I just found that filter I showed a pic of before that fits my DeLorean will fit the TJ 4.0L. Same size as the 5.0L Ford.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
At least in our climate, I've never found any of our Jeeps' oil to be all that warm at oil change time. I usually try to change just after a trip, and even on a hot summer day the oil is a lot less than scalding. I discovered this by the highly scientific means of getting splashed with some. :D
Mebbe if you are rockcrawling in 100 degree heat, but 1/4 quart can't make too much difference. It does complicate purchase and disposal.
My $0.02.
Moon

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Umm, I put on the larger filter (PureONE), and just tossed 6 quarts of Syntec 5W30 in there. The dipstick read pretty much exactly halfway between the low and high marks. Should be good.... right?

·
Registered
243 Posts
GringoLoco said:
Umm, I put on the larger filter (PureONE), and just tossed 6 quarts of Syntec 5W30 in there. The dipstick read pretty much exactly halfway between the low and high marks. Should be good.... right?
Once you crank it up and drive it (or let it idle) for a few minutes your level will go down a little bit. Not all the way down to the low mark, just a little closer to the low mark.

I add an extra 1/3 of a quart to mine and it sits exactly half way between the marks (I run the PL30001 PureOne).

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
With the suggested six quarts of oil (new filter included) my Jeeps have always read over full on the dipstick.

:OffTopic:
Has anyone else noticed that Castrol has changed thier 5 qt containers so that six quarts of old oil won't quite fit....:thumbdown:
Moon

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.