Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Station Wagoneer
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a home recently thats way out on the edge of town, bordered by BLM land (open range public lands). This means there's lots of critters and creepy crawlies.

Home inspector made a comment about the sheer number of spiders (black widows included) under the house. I figure when a guy who goes into crawl spaces all day every day feels the need to comment on the number of spiders in a normally spider filled space, it may be indicative of something abnormal lol.

Also while no damage is present, one person who was under the house noted they saw a mouse.

anyway, got a quote and reccomendation on service. Fellow said he'd do a full crawlspace service, then recommended bi-monthly service for field/house mice and spiders/insects.

$85 for the initial service, $65 per bi-monthly service.

Does this sound appropriate? Out of line? I never have had pest control before, even though we have needed it at other locations.

·
Registered
14,872 Posts
I built a home in the middle of the woods and critters (bugs, mice, snakes) were an issue. I have an actual basement as opposed to a crawl space which helps. Here is what I have done and over the past years and have been very successful.

I keep my lawn cut, no piles of anything close to the house. I don't even have shrubs growing up against my home. Dogs are great. I have a shed with a gravel floor and keep cedar branches around the edges, along with spraying and mouse/rat poison.

I spray with Permethrin SFR 36.8% permethrin Quart 6666105, diluted as recommended. You have to spray around the entire house. I do the inside first and then the outside. I spray the entire exposed concrete foundation and out into the grass and up underneath my siding. http://www.amazon.com/Permethrin-36...d=1451583287&sr=8-12&keywords=pyrethrum+spray

I do this at least a couple times a year. It even kills wasps/bees almost instantly, the entire hive/nest.

I throw this mouse rat killer stuff around my attic and behind places the dogs cant get to. http://www.amazon.com/Motomco-Tomca...&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=tomcat++bucket+refills

At first I hired a guy to come out a few times a year to deal with it but I have had better results doing it myself.

I still keep glue traps out to make sure I am not having invaders I do not see.

·
Bikini Bridge Inspector
7,378 Posts
Add a cat or two to the list. One that is a 'free range' cat and not some lap princess. No more four footed critters either!

·
Station Wagoneer
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Add a cat or two to the list. One that is a 'free range' cat and not some lap princess. No more four footed critters either!
it cant come in the house. wife is highly alergic. lungs close up, she will get a rash if she pets or holds a cat.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I get 3 visits a year unless there is an issue and I'm paying over $500. We would get spiders and other critters.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Plenty of info on the internet if you want to do it yourself. Spiders are hard to control especially with where you house is, it can be easier to get rid of their food supply and they will die out or leave. To comment on the pest control service and prices, they seem fair, as long as the service is effective. You probably have a lot going on right now with the new purchase, It might help to have a professional service come in and clean the pests out for a month or two until you can take control, maybe you will like what they are doing and keep the service. I don't think you will need bi-monthly visits all the time, but he might have said that at least until the problem is under control.

Not that you need to do things naturally but it sounds like where you will be living you will always have a supply of critters so selecting some other means of control might help too. If you can handle outside pets, selecting the right dog or a cat or two will help with the bigger critters. Chickens are also very good animals to have around for spiders, ticks and other bugs, along with snakes, toads and maybe even mice, and chickens taste good and can lay eggs.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Bought a home recently thats way out on the edge of town, bordered by BLM land (open range public lands). This means there's lots of critters and creepy crawlies.

Home inspector made a comment about the sheer number of spiders (black widows included) under the house. I figure when a guy who goes into crawl spaces all day every day feels the need to comment on the number of spiders in a normally spider filled space, it may be indicative of something abnormal lol.

Also while no damage is present, one person who was under the house noted they saw a mouse.

anyway, got a quote and reccomendation on service. Fellow said he'd do a full crawlspace service, then recommended bi-monthly service for field/house mice and spiders/insects.

Does this sound appropriate? Out of line? I never have had pest control before, even though we have needed it at other locations.
I'd gamble on the $65/$85... What have you got to lose... Check his references... Is he insured??

·
Station Wagoneer
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

I definitely plan to scale back if conditions approve. I have no idea if the previous home owners ever had any pest control systems in place.

We intend to get chickens though they won't be allowed full range of the yard because of the larger 4 legged critters we have in the area (coyotes, predatory cats, etc)

I intend to hire him. He works for the same company I work for (albeit the opposite side of the building and for a department with which I have nothing to do) and we are fully insured and licensed. I just had no idea on the pricing.

Thanks for the help this far!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Spiders are one of the hardest things to kill and here is why. When they walk through a area that has been sprayed there body is raised and it does not come into contact with pesticide. The tips of there legs are a hard shell and it does not get into them that way. Only a direct hit with the spray or when they come into contact when they squeese through a crack coming into contact with area that has been sprayed. Spraying and knocking down the webs help on the outside but thats about it. What will work is Drione or Boride blown under they house. For us it would be like walking in a room packed with broken glass. It should be good for 6 months to a year depending on conditions. As far as the rodent problem it is all about keeping them out. Seal up all holes that lead under the house. such as gaps around pipes and holes in vent screens. If it is a roof rat problem trim all brush / trees 5 feet from edge of roofline and set traps until they are all gone. If you throw in rat blocks and you dont go crawling around to find them, you have to smell the decomp for awhile.

·
Station Wagoneer
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!

I'm somewhat familiar with the difficulty of spider control, as well as scorpions but we don't have that problem here.

I have only seen 1 black widow in the house since first going there over a month ago and only see the occasional house spiders but there are plenty of dead spiders around as we are cleaning and painting. I'm used to dealing with the black widows, but don't think I've ever had any inside. They were everywhere outside our house in vegas.

I haven't seen any signs of the mice aside from somebody mentioning they saw a few under the house when they were down there, and what i believe to have been droppings near one of the kitchen counters. Haven't seen droppings anywhere else or any time aside from that one instance. Hell maybe it wasn't even mouse poop.

No birds in the roof or roof rats.

My guy is setting bait stations under the house to see if anything gets caught. He mixed up and sprayed something under the house. Sprayed the foundation, and sprayed inside around the base boards with an interior approved something or other. We are going to keep a quarterly service so I'll see how it works out.

·
Premium Member
13,724 Posts

65 bucks for a to-your-door service call isn't unreasonable nowadays.
A buck a day not to have black widows underfoot when stepping out of bed in the morning doesn't sound unreasonable either.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thanks!

I'm somewhat familiar with the difficulty of spider control, as well as scorpions but we don't have that problem here.

I have only seen 1 black widow in the house since first going there over a month ago and only see the occasional house spiders but there are plenty of dead spiders around as we are cleaning and painting. I'm used to dealing with the black widows, but don't think I've ever had any inside. They were everywhere outside our house in vegas.

I haven't seen any signs of the mice aside from somebody mentioning they saw a few under the house when they were down there, and what i believe to have been droppings near one of the kitchen counters. Haven't seen droppings anywhere else or any time aside from that one instance. Hell maybe it wasn't even mouse poop.

No birds in the roof or roof rats.

My guy is setting bait stations under the house to see if anything gets caught. He mixed up and sprayed something under the house. Sprayed the foundation, and sprayed inside around the base boards with an interior approved something or other. We are going to keep a quarterly service so I'll see how it works out.
I built a home in the middle of the woods and critters (bugs, mice, snakes) were an issue. I have an actual basement as opposed to a crawl space which helps. Here is what I have done and over the past years and have been very successful.

I keep my lawn cut, no piles of anything close to the house. I don't even have shrubs growing up against my home. Dogs are great. I have a shed with a gravel floor and keep cedar branches around the edges, along with spraying and mouse/rat poison.

I spray with Permethrin SFR 36.8% permethrin Quart 6666105, diluted as recommended. You have to spray around the entire house. I do the inside first and then the outside. I spray the entire exposed concrete foundation and out into the grass and up underneath my siding. http://www.amazon.com/Permethrin-36...d=1451583287&sr=8-12&keywords=pyrethrum+spray

I do this at least a couple times a year. It even kills wasps/bees almost instantly, the entire hive/nest.

I throw this mouse rat killer stuff around my attic and behind places the dogs cant get to. http://www.amazon.com/Motomco-Tomca...&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=tomcat++bucket+refills

At first I hired a guy to come out a few times a year to deal with it but I have had better results doing it myself.

It's been a few years back, but when I worked at a pest control company, this is pretty much how we'd handle stuff. The quoted price seems pretty reasonable depending on what is included.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I spray with Permethrin SFR 36.8% permethrin Quart 6666105, diluted as recommended. You have to spray around the entire house. I do the inside first and then the outside. I spray the entire exposed concrete foundation and out into the grass and up underneath my siding. http://www.amazon.com/Permethrin-36-8%-permethrin-Quart-6666105/dp/B0048EY6KY/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1451583287&sr=8-12&keywords=pyrethrum+spray

I throw this mouse rat killer stuff around my attic and behind places the dogs cant get to. http://www.amazon.com/Motomco-Tomca...&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=tomcat++bucket+refills/

The Tomcat rat killer is amazing, I controlled lot of pest from it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts