Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, another tire carrier. But I made mine a little different than most. I made it carrier two jerry cans with a 36" IROK on the back.

Here is a CAD version of what I wanted. You will see in the finished design, that I deviated from the design to allow for more rear departure angle.

I started my swingout tire carrier project by building the hinge. I decide to purchase a trailer hub from Northern Tools (http://www.northerntool.com). The hub comes with a spindle, two bearings, seal, hub, castle nut, and a cap with a grease zerk.

I looked at my bumper to decide where I was going to mount and weld the spindle to the bumper. I have two round bars that stick out of the top of my bumper and bolt through the bottom.

I removed to passenger side bar to see if the spindle would slip in the hole that was left.

The spindle was a little larger than the hole, but it would work! I had a good idea that actually came from the rods that stuck out of my bumper. Since the rods were bolted through the bottom, I decide to bolt my spindle through the bottom too. The spindle was already had a hole all the way through the shaft. All I had to do was too drill out the hole larger and tap threads in it. One tip, buy a vice. Getto vises do not work.

The next step was a two-phased step. I had to remove the material from the hub to get a good weldable surface and I also had to weld the spindle in. I used a plasma cutter on the hug, followed by a lot of grinding with a 4" grinder. I also cut a hole on the backside of my bumper to weld the spindle on the inside.

Shortly after this picture, my dad's plasma cutter broke. I hope he doesn't put a foot in my rear! :(

Once you grind for hours and hours, your hub will look this!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finish up the bumper by welding the patch back in and grinding down the weld.

Now that I am finished with the hinge, I will go over how I made the rest of my tire carrier. I used 2"x2"x3/16" square tubing for my swingarm. I made one end of my swingarm fit the curve of my hinge by grinding out a half circle with my angle die grinder. This was long and tedious process, but not hard. Just mark the top and bottom of the swingarm with the hinge and start grinding (sorry no pictures).

The next step was to make the uprights. I am calling them uprights because it reminds of a goal post in football. I used the same tubing as I did in the swingarm. Here is one of the uprights sitting next to the jerry can mount.

Welding the upright to the swingarm. I only welded the driverside one on first because the pass. side one was going to be welded to the hinge.

The next thing was to make the upright that holds the tire. I decided to cut a 90 degree notch in the square tube and bend the metal into a 90 degree. This was the first and last time I did this on the carrier. I just takes too long to cut the square tube with a die grinder.

I welded the swingarm and pass. side upright to the hinge.

Everything all together.

Well, my luck is low on this project. Not only did I break my dad's borrowed plasma cutter, my welder broke too. I decide to open up the beast to see what the problem was. It turned out to be a mechanical problem. A pin used to move a core was falling out. Since the pin fell out, I could not adjust the current setting on the welder. The magnatic forces in the welder will move the core to the minimum current setting with no pin. Here was the easy fix, zip ties!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I added a vertical piece on the upright for the tire mount. Then I welded the tube from the outer uprights to the center.

The next step was to make the piece that holds the tire. I had my old bumper sitting around. I cut a 7" piece from the bumper. I drilled holes in the bumper and welded bolts through it.

With the tire on

I still have to paint and mount the jerry can holders.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out at moab this year, I ended up not making a steep line and came down and ripped the tire from the carrier. The tire is now mounted higher and at an angle. The bad new is it completely block the rear view, so side view mirrors are a must. The tire carrier has a lot of weight. I should have made it out of thinner material. The rear cross member has take a lot of abuse from the extra weight and this winter I am going to remove the crappy stock cross member and replace it with a piece of tubing. The tire carrier will be remounted to the cross member.

This are pictures of the higher and angle tire.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Ireally like the design you have with the jerry cans. I was ondering if you could update with the changes you made to your original design and maybe a few pics. I would like to start building this in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ireally like the design you have with the jerry cans. I was ondering if you could update with the changes you made to your original design and maybe a few pics. I would like to start building this in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
How about I just ship it to you? It isn't going back on my jeep!

Just teasing. I am in the middle of a project, so it is sitting on the garage floor. I plan to do a leaf spring stretch this fall/winter and will be doing something different with the bumper. Most likely I will be building a new swingdown one similar to Poision Sypder's one.

What do you want me to snap a picture of? Just the whole thing or a spec part of the tire carrier?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I also really like this tire carrier! Do you think you could give us a little more detail about overall measurements? Like how long is the swing arm, what size steel you think would be better (you mention weight was a problem), also how far out the tire holder stuck out from the swing arm in its original configuration. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also really like this tire carrier! Do you think you could give us a little more detail about overall measurements? Like how long is the swing arm, what size steel you think would be better (you mention weight was a problem), also how far out the tire holder stuck out from the swing arm in its original configuration. Thank you so much.
Sorry, I will not be able to help you out. The original carrier hit the scrap pile, my jeep turned from a camping, hunting, weekend warrior to pretty much a rock crawler. I rarely take it camping unless the family is staying home, so the jerry can holders weren't really needed anymore.

Here is the current carrier:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yeah, I knew it was a longshot but maybe I'd get lucky. I've been following your build for literally years. Great YJ, and great write ups. Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
11 Posts

Thanks
This sounds like what I want to build also. 2 more posts and I can see the pics!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I added a vertical piece on the upright for the tire mount. Then I welded the tube from the outer uprights to the center.

The next step was to make the piece that holds the tire. I had my old bumper sitting around. I cut a 7" piece from the bumper. I drilled holes in the bumper and welded bolts through it.

With the tire on

I still have to paint and mount the jerry can holders.
Thanks for posting this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.