Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some recommendations on the appropriate fan blade and clutch for my AMC 304. I just finished a rebuild and figured that I should probably go ahead and replace both of these while I am at it. The fan blade has several dings in it and I have no idea how old the clutch is, could be original 1977 but not sure. I am adding A/C and a fan shroud (neither were stock on my CJ). I have looked up parts online from the LAPS and many come up that look similar but then say they don't fit my vehicle. My next step was to go into the store itself and talk to someone but thought maybe I would ask here first. I am not sure if there are any that are more 'quality' than another, but I am dumping a bunch of money in this thing so looking for the best I can find. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My 304 uses the factory style HD cooling fan (5 blade) and a standard fluid clutch. I have A/C and Smog pump, as well as the normal stuff being roped in on the motor. I live in Arizona where it can get a little warm in the summer and I have never had a cooling issue with this setup unless I am pulling a big hill with the A/C on, in that case I get a bit warm but still no boil overs. I would stick to what was designed for that motor unless you have some special circumstance that requires something different.

BTW - the best add on you can do for that motor's cooling is to ensure you have that fan shroud installed. They really make a difference.

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
I ha a 76 CJ-5 with 304 and stock HD cooling which included 7 blade fan with clutch, 3 core radiator and shroud. We used to spend the day at times, sometimes in the middle of summer, hot rodding on the beach and never had any heating issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts