Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Poland and PPV!!!!
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since everyone else is sharing their Jeep problems, maybe we can solve mine. When I turn my steering wheel, mainly to the left, my Jeep nearly stalls. This mostly happen after I have just started the Jeep, such as backing out of parking spaces. I even let it idle for a few seconds before backing out. It did happen yesterday when I was parallel parking, after a bit of a drive too. I'm not sure what the problem is, and it has never completely stalled, but it's gotten damn close. Now that I think about it, it seems to only do this while backing up and turning left.

Any suggestions. :brickwall :brickwall

·
Registered
419 Posts
TellyDSP said:
Since everyone else is sharing their Jeep problems, maybe we can solve mine. When I turn my steering wheel, mainly to the left, my Jeep nearly stalls. This mostly happen after I have just started the Jeep, such as backing out of parking spaces. I even let it idle for a few seconds before backing out. It did happen yesterday when I was parallel parking, after a bit of a drive too. I'm not sure what the problem is, and it has never completely stalled, but it's gotten damn close. Now that I think about it, it seems to only do this while backing up and turning left.

Any suggestions. :brickwall :brickwall
same thing happens to me, except its both forward and reverse and turning left. weird, hopefully someone can help us out.

·
H2 Recovery Team Member
2006 TJ Golden Eagle
6,693 Posts
sounds like you guys need a new power steering pressure switch. it's designed to come on when your pressure goes higher due to slow speed turn (like at idle) and tells the computer to increase the idle speed. it should be on one of the hoses off the pump. take an ohm meter to it and have a buddy turn the wheel for you at a dead stop you should see it come on and off. if not change it out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
sentinal02 said:
sounds like you guys need a new power steering pressure switch. it's designed to come on when your pressure goes higher due to slow speed turn (like at idle) and tells the computer to increase the idle speed. it should be on one of the hoses off the pump. take an ohm meter to it and have a buddy turn the wheel for you at a dead stop you should see it come on and off. if not change it out. :thumbsup:
:agree: or the pump itself is malfunctioning, low on fluid??

·
Registered
419 Posts
wolf3902 said:
:agree: or the pump itself is malfunctioning, low on fluid??
its 100 degrees out right now lol... so i think im gonna check the fluid, add some if necessary, and see what that does, but ill save the ohm meter/pressure switch check for a cooler day. i dont know how bad telly's is but mine isnt that bad, but im gonna check the fluid today just to be sure.

thanks

·
Poland and PPV!!!!
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
j-man said:
its 100 degrees out right now lol... so i think im gonna check the fluid, add some if necessary, and see what that does, but ill save the ohm meter/pressure switch check for a cooler day. i dont know how bad telly's is but mine isnt that bad, but im gonna check the fluid today just to be sure.

thanks
I feel ya on the heat. Heat index, 105*. Spent two hours in the junk yard this morning. Had a list of things planned to do on the Jeep. Was able to convince myself to go back outside and work on the Jeep for about 2 hours, now I'm back inside.

Mine isn't that bad, and it's only had a hard left, at idle speed. I'm in the same boat as you and will wait until it is cooler outside. Just thought I'd see if it was an easy fix. I spent enough money today on this friggin Jeep that I will wait on the PS pump issue.

Now that I think about it, my steering is a bit loose. The wheel freely floats right(not affecting the wheels) while driving at low speed. Could this be another symptom?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'd like to send this one to the top for the weekday crowd, since I have the same problem.

·
Registered
419 Posts
TellyDSP said:
I feel ya on the heat. Heat index, 105*. Spent two hours in the junk yard this morning. Had a list of things planned to do on the Jeep. Was able to convince myself to go back outside and work on the Jeep for about 2 hours, now I'm back inside.

Mine isn't that bad, and it's only had a hard left, at idle speed. I'm in the same boat as you and will wait until it is cooler outside. Just thought I'd see if it was an easy fix. I spent enough money today on this friggin Jeep that I will wait on the PS pump issue.

Now that I think about it, my steering is a bit loose. The wheel freely floats right(not affecting the wheels) while driving at low speed. Could this be another symptom?
i also have that problem, but that is because my tie rod end bushings are shot. there is play in the steering, but the inspection guys didnt pick up on it... sweet... now to replace that windshield........... :brickwall

·
H2 Recovery Team Member
2006 TJ Golden Eagle
6,693 Posts
NYWheeler said:
The play in the steering wheel could be your tie rod ends going bad or you might just need to adjust your steerig box.
the steering box has an adjustment? do tell. mines got about 10° before it starts turning the wheel and the TRE's are tight. i always chalked it up as play from the shot u-joints on the shaft.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It could be the u-joints Nick but if you remove the frame cover and look at the box there should be a bolt that you need an alen-key for and a jam nut around it. Loosen the nut and turn the bolt.

Tom

·
H2 Recovery Team Member
2006 TJ Golden Eagle
6,693 Posts
NYWheeler said:
It could be the u-joints Nick but if you remove the frame cover and look at the box there should be a bolt that you need an alen-key for and a jam nut around it. Loosen the nut and turn the bolt.

Tom
hmmm, i'll have to look into that sometime. thanks!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yup, it will tighten the gears in there up to compensate for their wear.

Works until you've used up all the adjustment, then it has to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Just be real careful about adjusting the play in the box .. otherwise you'll end up with tight spots (gears tend to wear unevenly).
The best way to adjust this is to drop the linkage from the pitman arm and feel the slack/tight spots as you turn the wheel .. adjust to get the least amount of resistance to the least amount of slack .. there will be a happy medium in there somewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sounds like you guys need a new power steering pressure switch. it's designed to come on when your pressure goes higher due to slow speed turn (like at idle) and tells the computer to increase the idle speed. it should be on one of the hoses off the pump. take an ohm meter to it and have a buddy turn the wheel for you at a dead stop you should see it come on and off. if not change it out. 👍
sounds like you guys need a new power steering pressure switch. it's designed to come on when your pressure goes higher due to slow speed turn (like at idle) and tells the computer to increase the idle speed. it should be on one of the hoses off the pump. take an ohm meter to it and have a buddy turn the wheel for you at a dead stop you should see it come on and off. if not change it out. 👍
Hey I know this is an ancient thread. But hopefully I can get a response. I have a jeep grand cherokee 04 and I'm having that problem when at idle if I turn the wheel to the left, the idle drops and the jeep shakes a bit. I know you said its the power steering pressure switch but I've searched and cannot find the damn part or location. Please help! Thank you!

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,331 Posts
you may find better responses in the XJ Cherokee section of the forum...

you're in the YJ forum and although we could help you out due to the similar nature of both models. . . you ay get better responses there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts