Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
30x9.50R15LT Pathfinder 6 ply tires. Jeep GCL ZJ on OEM Aluminum rims.
What tire pressure can I drop them down to for normal driving in sand and not worry about loosing a bead lock?

3,401 Posts
You will have no problems at 12 psi. When I’m at Silver Lake sand dunes 10 psi is my starting point. No bead locks and never a lost bead. You will find the vehicle will move much easier with lower pressure. I’ve been doing this since the 90s. The only time I’ve ever lost a bead was at 3-4 psi, towing a stuck Jeep out of a sand bowl.
Lowering the pressure will help you enjoy the sand.

Ron

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info. There is an off road trail out here where you can drive for 15 miles through hard pack, open desert, and soft sand. My HAM radio club will meet up and we should be able to have 25 or more drivers.

3,401 Posts
For trails try about 15psi.You will get better traction, flotation and a smoother ride. Good for us old guys.

Ron

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started off-roading in the 70's with my Land Cruiser FJ-40 and have had some sort of 4-WD vehicle ever since. My neighbor gave me a '98 GCL which I've got running well again and it has the original suspension. I'll try the 15 PSI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts