Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
This post/info=my opinion
24,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I yanked my AEM intake tube & filter off and replaced it with the stock intake.

WHY?
After off-roading with it for one season, I've had to clean the filter twice....the dust clogs it up very quickly. Once clogged, the intake makes weird noises that sound "groaning", and it idles high. I also found the entire inside of the throttle body below and all around the blade was black with a thick oily carbon buildup. I think this is a result of the oil on the AEM filter. The inside of the tube was also lined with a very fine layer of dust. The fender would also pack thick with dirt, I even tried lining rubber under the filter and boxing it in. Rubber did keep mud and water from wheeling off the filter, but I still got dirt and dust caked on the rubber.

So far, with a FRAM paper filter, the engine is more quiet (no more whistle), and the groan is gone. I also sprayed a throttle body cleaner in the TB pretty liberally, cleaning out the idle pass thru and the blade and below. Idles much smoother and throttles more smoothly.

I may experiment with another stock intake if I can get one cheap, and cut the box apart and make a high flow tube out of the AEM tube & the stock filter box.

Update: The TB spacer did nothing. I noticed no difference in power and colder intake temps with the stock intake.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I found oily residue in my stock tb when I replaced with 62mm tb and spacer and that was after running stock box and paper filter. maybe oil was in there from assembly? either way i am aiming my sights towards a Volent air intake due to the fact that they use an inclosed air box and a snorkel can be added at a later date.
Power gains are noticable from bigger tb and spacer, not too much but it helped a lot with throttle control and low end torque.
Please note that your intake under tb is only 60mm so in order to get full benfit from your set-up you may want to port the intake. this is My opinion however you may want to ask around.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I was forced to mod my air intake when I did my tube fenders (cone filter over a hacksawed intake pipe. I dont have a sock over the filter yet but I am going to get one soon. I suggest that to anyone to help aid cleaning and eliminating some of the dust. Its not a perfect solution but Im in a situation now where I have no choice.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
chappy84 said:
I found oily residue in my stock tb when I replaced with 62mm tb and spacer and that was after running stock box and paper filter. maybe oil was in there from assembly? either way i am aiming my sights towards a Volent air intake due to the fact that they use an inclosed air box and a snorkel can be added at a later date.
Power gains are noticable from bigger tb and spacer, not too much but it helped a lot with throttle control and low end torque.
Please note that your intake under tb is only 60mm so in order to get full benfit from your set-up you may want to port the intake. this is My opinion however you may want to ask around.
the only gains that I noticed with my TB spacer and intake were measured with my trusty butt dyno. I maybe gained a few MPG more but I havent noticed when I go to fill up. The factory intake is very unrestricting to start with. To compete with the dust I would put the factory intake back on...use a K&N filter for the element. But I would get one of thier smaller pre-filters and attach it to the trumpet on the front of the airbox.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Guys, a pre- filter is a trumped up version of pany hose!! haha.
I use a new pair of (cut to fit) pantyhose to cover my dirt bike K&N when I go to the sand dunes, works great and it is way way cheaper.
Just be prepared to get weird looks from wal-mart check out girl or send wife if so equipt. hahahaha

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
OIL on an AEM? What did you do? All the new AEMS have no oil. Havent had to clean it in over a year. Also run an outerwears pre-filter. Sounds like you had a crappy old style one

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
41,993 Posts
Deezul said:
OIL on an AEM? What did you do? All the new AEMS have no oil. Havent had to clean it in over a year. Also run an outerwears pre-filter. Sounds like you had a crappy old style one
That's what I was thinking.Oil an AEM?:confused:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pulled my AEM couple of months ago, stock intake is much quieter and I think the mid range torque is improved. I know the engine response is better and the intake system is clean!!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I agree with the rest. Oil on an AEM? when did you buy this cause you got jacked. If you want a better filter buy the dry flow filter it works much better and doesn't get clogged as much.

·
24,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
00jeepred said:
I agree with the rest. Oil on an AEM? when did you buy this cause you got jacked. If you want a better filter buy the dry flow filter it works much better and doesn't get clogged as much.
I've had the intake on for almost 3 years. Installed before the first filter change was needed...so around 4k miles i'm guessing. I'm at 36k now. I have the older style oiled filter. I found small sticks, particles of leaves, lint, rocks, and large particulates stuck to the filter the first time I cleaned it...I filled my kitchen sink with black residue.

doesn't get clogged as much? I don't see how it could NOT get clogged. I've had several millimeters of dirt caked inside the fender well, right below the filter. It sucks all that dust and dirt into the filter when I'm off roading. The stock intake has the air inlet tucked up against the hood (better for water crossings, think mini-snorkel) and while the bottom of the stock box may get dirty, the inside stays nice and dry. After seeing how dirty the inside of the engine compartment gets, I don't see how you would want a wide open element inhaling from the middle of the storm.

·
Retired Staff
2004 Jeep Wrangler
72,571 Posts
Unlimited04 said:
I don't know if I will notice a performance change or not....but I've got a 63mm TB & spacer I'm going to install soon...I definitely expect to see a change with that, especially at the higher end.
Don't bother with the TB spacer, they don't do a thing when under the type of throttle body used on a TJ where nothing but air passes through it. Spacers really help under carburetors and under the old style throttle-body injection systems but not so under current throttle bodies. Fuel is injected well below the TJ's throttle body, so (again) there's nothing but air passing through the TB.

I'm not even certain I felt any difference when I installed my 63mm TB. :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Unlimited04 said:
I also found the entire inside of the throttle body below and all around the blade was black with a thick oily carbon buildup.
Doesn't the Engine recirculate some of the exhaust gases to reduce emissions? This would introduce the nasty, oily, carbon filled residue you are referring to.

·
24,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
Don't bother with the TB spacer, they don't do a thing when under the type of throttle body used on a TJ where nothing but air passes through it. Spacers really help under carburetors and under the old style throttle-body injection systems but not so under current throttle bodies. Fuel is injected well below the TJ's throttle body, so (again) there's nothing but air passing through the TB.

I'm not even certain I felt any difference when I installed my 63mm TB. :)
Yea I know the fuel is injected into the combustion chamber directly, I was just hoping the extra length would generate more vacuum in the intake manifold...but maybe i'm just *hoping*.

and for the second time...I HAD AN OLDER STYLE AEM INTAKE..WHICH NEEDED OIL.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
never had any problems w/ my AEM and i like them because you dont have to oil them. you can get a dust sock for them if you need also. i used the TBS because it comes with the kit. not sure of any benefit. i kinda got used to the diesel whistle noise after 3 years.

·
24,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I installed the AEM TB spacer and a 62mm TB, but I'm still running the factory intake tube with the horn removed. I have noticed no major difference. I don't expect much improvement here, you just can't fight gravity+aerodynamics without major power increases.

Also I've gotten 6k miles and counting from the FRAM paper filter, I would have had to clean the AEM at least 2 times by now, costing $50 each time for the K&N cleaning kit. The noise/whine never bothered me, but the $50 bucks for each cleaning kit sure did. I could never find an Outwears pre-filter large enough to cover the AEM filter....the filter is much larger than other CAI brands. I would have had to buy two Outwears at $20-30 each and modify them both. Its just more cost effective to run the factory box and spend 5 bucks every 6k-9k miles for paper filters. The performance gains (if any) aren't worth the cost.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I don't seem to have any issues with my intake. It's a Rock Ready pipe with a K&N filter, but it's an oil-less filter, so that may have something to do with it.

·
Wizard of Brakes
33,107 Posts
One of these days, some pretty smart individual will take one of them there supposed HI-FLOW filters that neither flow or filter, put a dust sock on it and then test how well it flows.

I'd be mightily surprised if it flowed as good as a stock filter does.

For all you folks running dust socks, why don't you just take some chicken wire, bend up a cone and put the sock over it?

Why buy a fancy cone filter if you have to run something else to make it filter?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.