Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 GC Ltd. Dual Zone.

Air blows cold, perfect temperature, on auto. Then it will let out warm air and bring temp up 12 to 18 degrees. Took to dealer. They found bad control head. Installed new one.

Problem still there. Took back, New control head was bad. Put in new one.

Problem still there, but new control head said there was a problem with blend door and actuator. Put in new one along with new evaporator, it was showing signs of leaking, also was full of debris. Also replaced sun sensor on dash.

Problem still there. Chrysler set up a STAR case to have their top Factory tech analyze the problem. Their analysis said two wire harnesses needed to be changed. This was done. Necessitated pulling dash again. Blend door actuator changed again.

Problem still here.

Chrysler takes two to three days to reply to dealer. Car has been in shop for 3 weeks one time. Two weeks another time.

Currently in shop half way through second week again. Control head replaced AGAIN. Problem still there.

System has been evacuated and recharged more times than I can count.

Anyone ever run into this problem?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Have not had this problem.

One thought. The compressor could have deteriorated over time in some way from lack of lubrication and expelled small metal particles, metal shavings into the system that would intermittently clog the control head/orifice tube/expansion valve (same). This would intermittently block the refrigerant from atomizing and creating cold air. This would also explain debris in the evaporator. A diagnostician can tell this by attaching a pressure manifold (pressure gauges) to the high and low pressure a/c systems to see the pressure changes when the system and compressor goes though on/off cycles. If there is an incredibly high build up of pressure in the high pressure line...Bingo, that is the problem.

If that is the case, and it may NOT be, the refrigerant system needs to be flushed of contaminants and the compressor replaced.

And, if the dealer is not performing these tasks for free at this point find a new shop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope that since they opened up the system to install a new evaporator, that this was done. I will have to call them tomorrow. I just looked at bill and realized they did not put a drier on when they did the evaporator.

The problem seems to be the blend door is opening up and letting a large amount of heat from the heater core into the system, the closing and letting the system cool back down. If the system is put on manual, and left at coldest setting, it will freeze you out of car. If on manual and temp is raised to 69 the heat starts coming in.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I hope that since they opened up the system to install a new evaporator, that this was done. I will have to call them tomorrow. I just looked at bill and realized they did not put a drier on when they did the evaporator.

The problem seems to be the blend door is opening up and letting a large amount of heat from the heater core into the system, the closing and letting the system cool back down. If the system is put on manual, and left at coldest setting, it will freeze you out of car. If on manual and temp is raised to 69 the heat starts coming in.
Passenger cabin thermostat gone Mustang (broken) maybe? Also, multiple control heads and debris in the Evaporator are not good indicators of a clean refrigerant system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just picked up car. Top tech at Chrysler told dealer air cannot be fixed. This is after 4 control heads, several blend door actuators, evaporator , two wire harnesses, pulling dash twice. Dealer and Chrysler lost their ***** along with my $1800. Car was in shop for two more weeks this time. Dealer comped us a new car rental for over 7 weeks total.

I discussed lack of drier install with new evaporator. They said drier is installed when compressor is installed, because it is basically a filter. Refrigerant pressure were in spec. Did not give any indication of clogged lines. AC does blow very cold on coldest setting. Problem is warm air coming in to system when the heater blend door opens up and contaminates the cold air.

I asked about cabin temp sensor being bad. The cabin temp is controlled by infared sensor in control head. We are on #4 of those.

Also had recall of ignition switch done on this visit. New switch is a push to turn on and push to turn off. I wish I would have kept the old switch.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Top tech at Chrysler told dealer air cannot be fixed.

Also had recall of ignition switch done on this visit. New switch is a push to turn on and push to turn off. I wish I would have kept the old switch.
Wow on the A/C problem. Do not even know how to respond to that.

Did my ignition switch too and dislike the push and turn business but rather be safe than sorry since my wife drives the vehicle sometimes. Cannot have her experience a power shut down while driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts