Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

99 GCherokee Radiator leak downhill

795 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  brianwithaneye
Hey there- Major newbie here. 1999 Grand Cherokee inline 6 w/ 4.0.
195,000 Have a radiator fluid leak when parked downhill. Not actual radiator as I never hear steam.. slow drain from reservoir due to downhill parking. Radiator always full as I top off res.
Seems to be possibly the valve where you drain the radiator? Could downhill parking put more "pressure" on that to cause leak.? It does do it on occasion on flat ground but not near as bad & not all the time.
Also- to make matters worse- I have water (not radiator fluid) in front right floorboard. Top of carpet where AC drain goes into firewall is dry. Just wet at floor & heavier it seems, toward door. I don't think it's a rain leak but who knows.
I have to drive from KC to OK City this Mon & back Tue. I can live w.o AC if that is THAT problem.. but the radiator has me puzzled. I have not used any stop leak, etc. I have a bottle & also the tablets that dissolve just in case. Just replaced serpentine belt as well. Thanks for looking at my post.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,765 Posts
You may have a failing water pump. There is a weep hole below the impeller shaft that will leak when the bearing and seal go bad.

GW

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't believe it to be the water pump. Not leaking there at all & did not notice anything when I changed the serp belt just last week. This radiator fluid issue has been over a year. I think it is at or near the petcock at the bottom right corner (lower left if looking at front of vehicle) And 90% of the time when it is pointing downhill.. On occasion when it's flat ground & even now & then on slight uphill but it's small amounts then. When pointed downhill it really comes out. Eventually stops but it's weird. Temp guage is always in check at just under 210 degrees. I have gotten a "low coolant" light before & when I check the overflow tank it is at the minimum line. I check it weekly & keep in middle or at max & not warnings since.. but still this leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.