Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On front of 4.7 left head are mount holes for power steering pump, 5 of them, in two patterns of three holes, each.

There are two positions at which the pump may be placed. For the WJ, the leftmost position is used.

However, the pump may be mis-installed in the rightmost position. While the pump mounts to the three holes, bottom and two right holes, this leaves the leftmost upper hole infilled. This hole apparently is not a blind hole, instead is a through hole into the rocker area.

Naturally, oil will pour forth from this hole while engine is running.

What vehicle application uses the rightmost pump position holes? I.e.the wrong holes, for WJ?

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Many platforms used the 4.7 and those sometimes had specific parts due to packaging, sometimes those parts require different mountings.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That's kinda what I was thinking, cDee. Dodge Ram, among others, used the 4.7 and it feasibly could have used some of those bolt holes. I believe even a Mitsubishi SUV used the 4.7 and who knows how that engine bay was setup. Another possibility is different bolt holes depending on whether the vehicle used a hydraulic fan version of the PS pump or not, but that's pure speculation.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Ram, Dakota, Durango, Commander, Mitsu Raider, Chrysler Aspen, Grand Cherokee. Also the 3.7 is essentially a 4.7 missing the rear cylinders with similar front of engine dress. I do know an 05 3.7 GC uses a pump that bolts to the other set of holes, it is a 4.7 with 2 cylinders lopped off. The front accy drive is identical as far as mounting and component location.

·
Registered
2002 jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7
91 Posts
i have a set of heads i checked for you there are no thru holes on my head on the left side at the power steering bolt on area, all are blind holes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts