Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to show my frame repair.

Last night using two grinders I cut out a section of the drivers side frame. Basically the section where the 3 skid plate bolts are as they were all broken.
Had to trim one end of the replacement patch to fit as it was hitting the rear safeTcap.

Patch is now centered and clamped in place waiting on my friend to come by today to do the welding.
Could not believe how much dirt and rust particles came out of the frame.
While it was open I did spray some rusty metal primer in there as far as I could.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you guys think it would be worth it to loosen/remove the body cab bolts?
To maybe lift up that side of the body a little. Give us a tiny bit more room for welding.

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
maybe somebody will respond, but is it necessary to disconnect battery, pcm, radio, electronics, etc, when doing frame welding ?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe somebody will respond, but is it necessary to disconnect battery, pcm, radio, electronics, etc, when doing frame welding ?
Well I will disconnect the battery.
In the videos I have watched of a shop doing it in Cranston RI (MorFab Industries) he doesn't. I don't even think he disconnects the battery, and this guy does this for a living.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Given that you're dealing with rust issues, I would not touch the body mounts. There's a very good chance you would snap all of them and that is a real can of worms. You definitely would not be making things easier. Doesn't seem that it would help much anyway.

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
41,991 Posts
Nice job! :thumbsup: Post the finished pics. Coat the inside of the frame (Eastwood internal frame coating) when you're done and add some drain holes to let the water out. My Jeep was originally from Texas and started to rust after 3 years in Washington D.C. I recently cleaned rust out of my frame and coated it. I always drill the drain holes as soon as I buy a Jeep.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4.5 hours later job is done.
Yes I will get some of that internal frame coating especially now that the inside frame is clean of debris.
I did actually pull out the body mounts but it didn't really help. Didn't realize until way later the one body mount by the gas tank.

The zip tie is temporarily holding the brake lines in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My buddy was amazing with his welding.
The majority of the time I was just on fire brigade duty and made sure he was well hydrated.
He does wants me to go to his house another time to use his Tig welder on a small section on the inside that he was having a hard time getting a good angle/penetration on the metal.

In the fall I will have him do the same on the opposite side.

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
41,991 Posts
I should have learned to weld years ago. It really comes in handy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.