Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two miles from a return trip home I heard a quick squeal, then no power steering and engine temp went into orbit. I shut the engine off and coasted for several hundred yards and pulled over ( pulling empty, light trailer)
I found the serpentine belt was in taters ( new belt last Feb ). I called my wife and she towed me home up my mountain.
When home I pulled the fan off and shroud to find the idler pulley next to and under the AC compressor was in pieces. The open bearing has seized and the steel pulley had is center torn out. The retaining plate for the bearing/pulley is destroyed. The new belt was ripped to shreds.
I need a new idler pulley ( prefer steel ) and serpentine belt ASAP.
What are the part numbers you would use? From who. I'm retired so original OEM MOPAR is not an option.
Thanks for any helful info.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: the adjustable Idler pulley bearing had the slightest "rumble" when spun on your finger. It turns out to be a very common sealed bearing which I had and replaced. That's OK now.
The destroyed bearing had a large diameter cover plate(?) for the open bearing that is toast. The replacement bearing/pulley dose not have this cover plate. I assume I would just add a flat washer instead?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Update: the adjustable Idler pulley bearing had the slightest "rumble" when spun on your finger. It turns out to be a very common sealed bearing which I had and replaced. That's OK now.
The destroyed bearing had a large diameter cover plate(?) for the open bearing that is toast. The replacement bearing/pulley dose not have this cover plate. I assume I would just add a flat washer instead?
I've had some issues with my idler pulley. About 2 dozen times I've removed/replaced swapped new bearing with old pulley and vice versa. If your speaking of the flat washer that sits in front of pulley has an insert, or nipple(giggity) which slides through inner bearing. It reduces the play for the mounting bolt. I'd say you would need that.
As for my issue, my pulley was canted one way from the passenger side, and another angle from the driver side. Belt would ride off the AC compressor, bearings would squeak, all kinds of messed up. Turns out, there was a small chunk missing underneath the mounting surface. Which caused the pulley to tilt once bolt was tightened. Kind of fixed that with a med flat file, very carefully..

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The original flat washer is destroyer. would a fender washer be strong enough to hold?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
From what I recall, the washer has a shoulder on it that keeps the pulley centered. You cant just use a washer.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The replacement pulley has a smaller version of the larger washer that MOPAR used. The original bearings are OPEN! and not sealed. Idiots. The new one has double sealed bearing and are rated to run in 250 degree F heat. I lathe turned a larger washer If it looks like more support is needed to keep the bearing in place. I'll see when the parts show up this week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts