Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im very new to the Jeep life style and loving it but...... I just had my first break down. My transfer case is finished 4X4 just grinds when engaged. I can clearly hear the chain just skipping and missing teeth. When I drained the oil out, it was very dark (black) and there was a lot of slop (play) between the gear teeth and the drive chain. I have found a replacement but in not sure if it will install properly.

I have a 97 TJ 4 cly 2.5 L with a 5 speed manual with a busted transfer case.

I have found a transfer case from a 95 CJ 4 cly 2.5 L 5 speed. Will this transfer case match up to my current transmission?

Thoughts, ideas, tips and advise much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
From the YJ forum:

NP231 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2H - 4H - N - 4L - used '88-'95

From the TJ Forum:

NV231 Command-Trac - 1997-2006
* Used on all TJs except Rubicon models
* 2.72:1 Low range
* Slip yoke
* Gear driven speedometer signal

-----------------------------------------------

I can't say for sure, But I think you are good to go...

·
Registered
432 Posts
the tailhousing is different between the two, with the tj case if something happens and you have to pull the rear shaft, all the fluid will stay inside the case. on the yj case it will all come out. both use a short 21 spline input so you're good there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it worked out in the end. Took about 6 hours to do. I had never done this kind of wrench turning before so it was a great learning experience.

Turns out both T-case were the NP231 with some minor differences.

Broken T-Case: Worn out seals, bearings, and the chain was stretched. Main shaft looked in good shape.

The main shaft was a little longer. The bell housing on the back holding the mechanical speedo had a seal on the output to the rear diff. Also had a two prong vacuum connection.

Replacement T-Case: For a case with 210,000 km it was in very good shape. No signs of abuse or neglect for 100 bucks it was a great buy.

The main shaft was shorter with what looked like a synchro (possibly for shifting into 4X4 on the fly? ). Also the bell housing that holds the mechanical speedo had a cone bolted to it which had a seal in the end of it.
Also had a four pronged connection for the vacuum lines.

Swapped the broken T-case main shaft with the one from the replacement T-case, the vacuum connections, and the speedo bell housing.

Thank you all for your advice and comments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.