Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Team CANON
629 Posts
just my .02.
I remember this hood scoop issue very specifically.

I will confirm what people have said above.
1997 had it's own hood scoop.
1998+ had a shorter version.
For a few years after the 98 design came out, they still had both the 97 and 98+ versions avaiable.
but manufacturers stopped making the 97 model. once it sold out, they were removed from the catalog.

if you find one now, it's a part that was made over 10 years ago. wow.
I had one on my yj. and I installed it facing the rear. like ram air.
I'm not sure it won't work just as well in either direction.
but I think it looks better facing the rear.
and it also blocks debris and extra weather action from riding up the hood and going right down the throat.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Subscribing in case someone finds one.

I'd love to have one on my '97. My Jeep is parked under an Oak tree, and the vent fills up with leaves which sometimes make it down into the blower motor.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am still looking for one...I think next I will look into the sunroof air deflectors like suggested...and maybe try to combine that with the clean air scoop filter that offroadtrailtools.com sells...(they sell the scoop and filter but maybe just buy a filter). Other option would be to close off the two outer vents from underneath and put one scoop over the center one...maybe just get the ortt scoop w/filter.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It says '97 but that is a mistake I am pretty sure (a lot of places make that mistake)...here is the picture of their product:

...and here are pictures of my '97. I took 4 pictures - one shows the 3 different vents...and then the others show each of the vents....the far left one seems to be covered in there with some plastic thing, the right one is partially blocked by a plastic thing and of course you can see the middle one is the fully open one. I measured them - all 3 have the same dimensions. They are ~8 inches wide (port to starboard) and 5 inches high (bow to stern):

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 97 also. I did the cowl CAI mod so I needed a scoop to keep the water out of my air filter. What I ended up doing is changed my Cowl. I put on a cowl from a 04 then used the currently avalable single vent hood scoop from Bushwacker. Works great.

·
Premium Member
8,225 Posts
It says '97 but that is a mistake I am pretty sure (a lot of places make that mistake)...here is the picture of their product:

...and here are pictures of my '97. I took 4 pictures - one shows the 3 different vents...and then the others show each of the vents....the far left one seems to be covered in there with some plastic thing, the right one is partially blocked by a plastic thing and of course you can see the middle one is the fully open one. I measured them - all 3 have the same dimensions. They are ~8 inches wide (port to starboard) and 5 inches high (bow to stern):

So I'm thining three of those would do the trick (but IMO it would look really silly!).

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
Would it be a big deal if you purchased 3 small scoops and put them onto your Jeep? :dunno: If my eyes do not deceive me, it looks like the '97 uses 3 sets of 7-slots for the grill and the '98 and up uses just a single-set of 7-slots.

There is a local company that makes all kinds of plastic-stuff for vehicles (OEM supplier) and they might be able to do a couple of runs of the scoop if there is enough interest and if they can drop-ship the whole lot into a warehouse ..

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a 97 and I have never seen one.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Nice looking rig LSU TJ :thumbsup: so, it doesn't matter whether the scoop is facing the front bumper or the back bumper? I am guessing because of the air flow against the windshield causing a down draft??? :dunno:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Thanks igrok.

Facing with the inlet backward, toward windshield, would not restrict flow but would be considered turbulent flow. With the inlet facing forward like mine it is basically a type of forced induction. However, I don't really think it makes a big difference or matters which way you face it for this application, more of a looks thing really. Do it which ever way you like best. :thumbsup:

I do get some additional positive pressure in the air system but not a big difference.

·
MAiL Crawler.
4,317 Posts
has anybody run into this problem:

leaning the hood all the way back against the windshield multiple times has left a scratch on my hood.

that and when i laid the windshield down to install my cage, it was just tall enough to crack my windshield.

so, its gone. anyone?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.