Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first build ever, and long overdue. This ZJ has been my daily driver for almost 5 years now, finally upgraded to a 06 WK and bought a 5.5 inch Iron Rock critical path long arm (long in the front, short in the back) to match up with 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on Pro Comp 52 Rock Crawler 15x8s

Didn't think to take pictures stock (I'm not that smart) but heres a few collected over the years

Before:

Current

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #2
Days 1-3: Over the years I have had a very consistently unfortunate luck with automobiles. In this case, seized lug nuts were the first things my friend and I ran into when getting ready to install this kit. With the right six-point socket, a breaker bar, and a steel pipe/cheater bar the lug casings turned to mush. We tried grinding and cracking the nuts to no avail. Then in an act of desperation we cut the wheel off to see if there was a way to get more room to get at the lugs. No dice- we are currently in the process of drilling out the studs.

Installing the new 3 piece cross member

sensitive_content show_content

Old vs New front spring

·
Registered
x_posts
DUDE SO PUMPED!!! I might have to just take a road trip down there when i get the 'ole YJ done and do some wheeling!

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Only able to do this on the weekends and with my Jeeps two steps forward two steps back mentality (aka corroded and stubborn hardware) we haven't made TOO much progress. Got the front long arms and track bar in and with hardware installed after having to take it back apart once. And we got the rear right spring, shock, control arms done.

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh crap it's done!

Fresh out the garage:

Before:

After:

Just got it aligned, needs some MAJOR trimming at least at the passenger front bumper and some steering work. The steering has so much slop in the gearbox/pitman arm area which makes it absolutely TERRIFYING on the highway... won't be doing that again any time soon. But at least the heavy lifting portion is done.

Anyone have any remedies to this steering issue?

·
Registered
x_posts
You are going to have to basicaly find out where the slop is. Have someone keep turning the wheel with the power steering on and off particularly off and while you are under it you will deffinately be able to see the slop/shifting. Did your kit come with a new pitman arm? Did you put it on? My money is on drag link or tie rod end. But she looks awesome bud minus being a major PITA how do you like it?

·
Premium Member
x_posts
Looks really good!

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are going to have to basicaly find out where the slop is. Have someone keep turning the wheel with the power steering on and off particularly off and while you are under it you will deffinately be able to see the slop/shifting. Did your kit come with a new pitman arm? Did you put it on? My money is on drag link or tie rod end. But she looks awesome bud minus being a major PITA how do you like it?
I did watch it and there doesnt seem to be any slippage but there is definitely slop in the gear box... there was before the lift any way. There was no drop pitman arm or anything in the kit, definitely a next investment. Tie rod ends are newish and they seem solid... but who knows. Will take some troubleshooting. Love you! Love your alias as well

·
Premium Member
x_posts
Dont get a drop pitman arm, it throws off your trackbar and draglink angles, resulting in deathwobble.

Check the steering shaft ( the one that goes from the steering wheel to the steering box)

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks really good!
Thanks man. You don't see too many lifted ZJs on the road and I wanted to be different. I think they look slick, like a dune buggy. A painful... expensive... dune buggy

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dont get a drop pitman arm, it throws off your trackbar and draglink angles, resulting in deathwobble.

Check the steering shaft ( the one that goes from the steering wheel to the steering box)
Didnt notice any slack or slop going into the box. It was a brief check but it seemed like the yoke or whatever going into the box was pretty tight with what the wheel was doing. The output of the box seemed sluggish but I am unsure of what kind of ratio I should be looking for. I dont even know who they work or what's inside either, so it's hard to make an accurate diagnosis with my limited vehicular mechanical apptitude.

To phrase it more fluently for my mouf "I see da steering shaft moving more den da pitman arm is moving" :dunno:

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turned out to be the hardware at the aft end of the long arms AND the front track bar hardware looked loose and the axle was shifting underneath the jeep. Took the bumper cover off.

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgot to keep this g-unit updated with all my "mods" :rolleyes: So I'm gonna travel back in time for all none of you that are interested.

First step was some random brush guard off of craigslist.

Next, painted the cladding with rustoleum bumper and trim. It's a semi-gloss black and I did MINIMAL prep (washed with windex and shop towels).

I have beat the hell out of it and it's still good to go so far. A single can did it all with no show-through, but I have no front bumper cover. I didnt even mask anything, figured this thing get's scratched to hell anyway so a little over spray isn't a big deal. I still think it looks good though

Next, I LOST the grill guard nose diving into a puddle.

The guard caught on the bottom then tore off when I leveled the jeep out. Oh well. In it's defense it took a beating from me falling and running into things. It's just the downforce that it was weak against, I guess.

I also put a tool chest in the back with a full size spare.

I have the spare bungeed to the original bracket through the d-windows and a ratchet strap wrapping around and hooking to the hooks on the bungees to prevent it from rolling too much. Not an ideal setup but I have been on some steep climbs and descents and it hasn't budged much.

·
Registered
x_posts
looks good! i was wondering.. are you able to close the hatch with the spare tire and the back seats up? cause im wanting to do the same. im currently running no spare :shhh:

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't use my back seats at all, but I'll see if they fold up next chance I get

·
Registered
x_posts
I love the look of a 5.5 LA kit! Looks awesome. Keep up the build...
Whats in store for future mods?

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #19
dmill33ZJ said:
I love the look of a 5.5 LA kit! Looks awesome. Keep up the build...
Whats in store for future mods?
Thanks man! The critical path kit is awesome. Let's me keep up with Wranglers but looks better when I get that flex. Check out my YouTube channel in my signature to see what I'm talking about ;)

Future mods? All of them. I need a bumper and at least a locked rear before anything else. Would like kevins pre-runner style bumper but can't convince myself to shell the dough.

As for locking the rear, everyone swears locking a d35 with 33s is a disaster waiting to happen, but I feel like not too many of those people have actually tried it. I'm definitely keeping my eye out for an 8.8 but you figure 200 for the axle, 200 for the conversion kit, 300-700 for a locker plus 200 to re-gear (if I can't find one with 3.73s) plus fab shop labor fees (I live in an apartment as well as having 0 welding experience)... Man it might almost be worth busting a few axle shafts. I already carry a spare shaft and fluid with me anyways and they're not exactly hard to change. I'm in no rush though, and still have fun even with open diffs.

Other than that, just armor :)

Oh and rozco, I haven't had a chance to check the seat clearence cause I have a bunch of big stuff (mainly my grill guard) in the back at the moment. Since I live in apartments my zj is also my garage. Should be selling the guard in a few days so I'll let you know then bud.

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #20
rozco said:
looks good! i was wondering.. are you able to close the hatch with the spare tire and the back seats up? cause im wanting to do the same. im currently running no spare :shhh:
10 years later I finally cleaned out the back to put one of the seats in. And I can confirm with the hatch closed and the seat back locked in the upright position an aired up 33 inch tire will fit... With a millimeter or so to spare.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you

x_y_of_z_posts