Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help figuring out what is wrong. I pulled the motor and tranny (4.0&ax15) replaced with crate long block and new trans. Now it acts like timing is way off and if it starts the exhaust header turns cherry red in seconds. Like it is running way too lean or Time advanced. I thought I may have put distributor in wrong or something was wrong with the crate 4.0. Took all down again ran compression test 135 is good. Lined up timing mark TDC installed a new distributor oil pump @11 , roter @5pm and there is no change. Have fuel pressure 38. New TPS. I know start is open system PCM and belive the electronic timing adjustment should be minimum at this point. CPS wires show no resistance on multi meter so should be good? O2 shouldn't read in open or start condition? Can change it but don't think it will make any difference. I sprayed wd 40 on intake while running and didn't detect any vacuum leaks.
Suggestions?
On a side note I did the same to my 94 and it had no problem i am now 7000 miles in and am very happy with it. The wife is not impressed by me tearing hers down and not being able to get going..
Thanks for your thoughts on resolve.
Happy wife happy life ;D

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok. I fixed it. Take note there is zero mechanical adjustment on 4.0 timing. Guess I've been spoiled by other OEM that give some leeway. I missed it is the trailing edge of the rotor is to be at 5 o'clock when distributor is seated. Install is oil pump 11 o'clock. Rotor at 4 o'clock. Align the fork on distributor to the retention bolt hole in the block and drop it straight into position. The rotor is now at 5 o'clock and is just past number 1 post on the distributor cap. Running like a champ.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered from the local parts store. Autozone. PN is VA 31 price is inline with other internet shops but save shipping and hassles. I have 10,000 on my 94 now and no issues at all. There are a couple of manufacturers they can go to if you prefer one over the other.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Sir. The oil pan / timing chain and valve cover all sealed up. Motor pressure and leak tested. Major stress relief and cost is comparable to having your block and head machined and doing the rest yourself.

·
Registered
12,680 Posts

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Dang. I was hesitant to get it from the Zone but if it’s got a warranty and some good reviews it’s worth looking at. What was the price range at the time you bought it?

Wait, here it is:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine came with 2 or 3 years and unlimited milage. It was painless. Ordered it they called me when it came in. I picked it up. They loaded it in my truck. Once the swap was done I put the old one in the clamshell took it back they unloaded it and issued me my core. I was surprised since they one I took back cylinder 5 had a water front view and wasnt good for a core. I went through 3 used engines with unknown history in 3 years. I was tired of rolling the dice. So I went this route. Best $1,300 I spent. I stuck a boroscope in mine. Its bored .040. The cylinder walls looked great with good cross hatch. I stuck it in the oil filler and everything in there looked brand new so eithier it was or they did a hell of a job cleaning it. All in all I have no complaints and am happy knowing I have a new engine and I know the history now. She gets Royal Purple Street performance oil changes. You can get it on amazon and with the Royal purple Filter it cost about $10 more changing it with other oils. and I have found she loves the E-85 Flex Fuel. It runs amazing on that stuff which is nice cause its cheaper. All my fuel line is rated for it. And my injectors are newer and able to handle it. I dont run it exclusivly. Since I am only near places that have that sometimes.

Edit: Wow prices went up. I got mine a year ago for $1,400. Though I did know someone that had a business account with them so I might have gotten some odd discount. If you know a shop with a business account have them check prices. They can put the order in you can call and pay for it over the phone and pick it up yourself. Thats what I did. The warranty I got is slightly better. Mine covers up to $125 an hour for labor should something happen.

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
Yep. I remember him saying he got it for his son’s jeep and said it’s good to go. So far I have 3 first hand experiences from folks who’s opinion I value. So I’m on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts