Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Boojo, comments from the peanut gallery are always welcome here..... ;P

so if Ive learned my lessons here at all i have isolated the issue to the T stat and water-pump, regardless of how new they are. the only deviation from stock is a 3 row aluminum radiator and no Fan shroud. now if i was only having issues at low speed, the fan shroud would become a factor. from what i can see the T stat never opens, even after having confirmed operation in a stove top pot. So im going to change the water pump and T stat. Recommendations on quality brands please enough of this fast food BS.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
the only deviation from stock is a 3 row aluminum radiator and no Fan shroud.
Some have not had good results with those aluminum radiators fwiw
I’d change the tstat and get a fan shroud fanned up ASAP. Maybe wait on the water pump until a new thermostat opens and tests your fan shroud.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sorry for the delayed response been under the weather lately.

Fish its funny you mention that, as far as the Tstat goes I may be the creator of my own demise. you can see from the picture that the placement for my weep hole my not have been ideal when the tstat is instated you can see that the gasket covers the weep hole, so i basically screwed myself.

I was taught to use some RTV along with the gaskets especially in these older vehicles.
I was looking for a quality Water pump anyone have brands they can suggestions?

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Tire

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I put a new AC Delco water pump in mine and a couple others and liked it. I’ve also used a Naper pump in a situation, and a couple whatever-they-hads from advance.

But when I have time to select I bought the AC Delco

Use less gasket maker. Just a smear of the black stuff is enough because it probably doesn’t really need sealer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The Water pump and New T Stat are give mes. I Know 195 deg is Factory norm but someone posted what i thought was a valid point...Drop from 195 to 180(i think is the next value available) being in Southern Cali Normal temps aren't 75 Degrees(not speaking about right now, meaning most of the year). im going to be doing alot of crawling soon not rock crawling just overgrown fire roads. Thoughts on the lower T stat temp?

Fish the boil over was a combo of things, City driving with a lot of stop and go and no fan shroud. Most likely the temp was sneaking its way up with out me noticing. Therefore when i parked and shut down it down, it pushed it right over the edge. Fan shroud is on the way, according to all collected wisdom this should eliminate the low speed over heating.

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
I always like checking out another overheating 4.0L thread. I keep hoping someone can crack that nut once and for all.

I plan to put a new motor in next year to correct my issue.

If you’re overheating at low speeds, I’m sure it’s been covered here. Fan clutch, shroud, flow (air and coolant), and thermostat are pretty much it. I never had any issues crawling and keep my motor cool. Dang highway speeds that get me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,609 Posts
Electric fan... 2000 CFPM
Stock belt driven fan 4000 CFPM

Moving air is a mechanical operation.
The stock fan uses a couple horsepower.
Imagine what a one or two horsepower electric fan would look like.

My Jeep handles big sand dunes in Death Valley at 124* F
No temp issues.
The OEM fan clutch was made by AC/Delco.
I have not had good results from aftermarket fan clutches.
A sure fire way to know if your clutch is shot, look a the front where the bi-metal spring is, if dirt has built up there, the thick viscous fluid has been leaking and it's time for a new one.
The fan runs on a percentage of shaft speed. It's never 1:1 unless it's severely locked up, and you'd know by the howling noise.
In heat, with a good clutch, the fan is running near 50% of shaft rpm.

I have not been successful trying to convert to electric on a Jeep in the desert heat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Just got the fan shroud, installing tomorrow. i am going to wait on the water pump to make sure I'm chasing the right tail.

Fish apparently the boil over was a one time event and it was extremely hot out that day. Cats relatively new and i have a smog due. I'm friends with the smog tech, ill see if he can provide some insight as to the lean/rich issue. but isn't this all controlled by the ECU? i was thinking at some point to do the 4 hole injector swap, if i can find any more positive feedback on it.

Chris tyvm for your input.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Just got the fan shroud, installing tomorrow. i am going to wait on the water pump to make sure I'm chasing the right tail.

Fish apparently the boil over was a one time event and it was extremely hot out that day. Cats relatively new and i have a smog due. I'm friends with the smog tech, ill see if he can provide some insight as to the lean/rich issue. but isn't this all controlled by the ECU? i was thinking at some point to do the 4 hole injector swap, if i can find any more positive feedback on it.

Chris tyvm for your input.
I have the injectors. You can get them off amazon cheap. If you need injectors sure why not. But its not an upgrade that is noticble. No extra ponies no better milage. I think most of what people think they are doing is due to taking out old injectors and putting in new ones.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.